EV buyer's market

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source_2: Slower-selling EVs are automakers' new headache

Ford had 86 days worth of F-150 Lightnings and 113 days' worth of Mustang Mach-E electric crossovers on hand, Cox said. A Ford spokesman said Cox's figures overstate the inventory available at dealerships. Ford built 46,238 Mach-Es during the first half of this year, and sold 14,040 of the midsize crossovers, according to data posted on its investor site. Ford cut prices for Mach-E models in May.

Volkswagen dealers had 131 days' worth of ID.4 electric crossovers in inventory, according to Cox data. In a statement, Volkswagen's U.S. sales arm said "we have seen some softening in EV sales in the U.S. recently" as supply chain bottlenecks have eased, allowing for increased production.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Where are all of these Lightnings? When I look at the local Seattle inventory, I see inventory ranging from zero to six F150 Lightnings on the dealer lots, and some these are in transit. Most just have three Lightnings with no XLT models.

There are plenty of Mach-E vehicles on the lots, but Lightnings, not so much right now. Are the dealers just being cautious? Does Ford need to make more XLT models?

4. I was at my Hyundai dealer the other day to pick up some mats I had ordered, and they are still not getting much supply (not just EVs). The sales people are extremely frustrated with buyers on hand, but not cars. Hard to make any money with empty car lots.

So in Canada, it seems that we are still not seeing a buyers market except for Teslas and some domestics (like Ford). I think the port strike here has extended the supply issue, and manufacturers have diverted or held off shipping to Canada.