Engaging EDM without using HV reset

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Landshark, Oct 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This may be well known, but I’ve found a fairly reliable way to engage Engine Driving Mode without resorting to the HV reset method, which results in a continuous reduction of the SOC set point with each implementation.

Once HV is activated, at speeds above 45mph, let off the accelerator pedal until the power meter dips into regen. Gently press the accelerator pedal and see if EDM has engaged. If not, rinse and repeat. For some reason it seems to require the car to be in HV for a few minutes before this technique works.

It works well on flat terrain. It will not work well if aggressive acceleration is demanded or on an incline where more power is required to maintain speed or accelerate. EDM will remain engaged under relatively low power demand situations, such as maintaining a set speed or very gentle accelerations. Moderate to aggressive acceleration will cause EDM to disengage.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Landshark

There are multiple threads from a year/year n a half ago discussing this very issue in detail. Several posts are data centric which demonstrates a direct correlation between engine clutch engagement at a given speed and rpm. The "deceleration method" you describe merely reduces rpm's to the level where engine clutch engagement occurs at the given speed...no surprise here.

The Clarity I drive has always been very predictable when engine clutch engagement occurs because of the relationship between speed n rpm's . Recently, I took a 3200 mile trip down I-70 and collected data on 11 drive days non-stop...many miles the engine clutch was engaged...up to 75 mph routinely. I'll post up some of the data when time allows.

Have a great day.

4. Thanks. No surprise here either. I’m familiar with the conditions that must be met in order for EDM to engage and remain engaged. I didn’t know if the method described above had been previously mentioned in other posts. It seems like a pretty reliable way to get the car in to EDM while maintaining the SOC set point and there’s no need to press buttons.