Electrify America - free charging for 2021s

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TRSmith, Mar 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

Electrify America has a new program to give 250 kWh of free charging to owners of 2021 Konas Electric and Ioniqs: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/134

I'm disappointed it won't apply to my 2020. But still a nice deal. Worth $107.50, based on $0.43 per kWh.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Are 2021's even available in the US? I haven't seen them sold anywhere and bought my 2020 in 2021 because they were not available. I'm in New Jersey, maybe they are only available out west right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Note: Only applies to vehicles purchased after the announcement (March 17/2021) as indicated by "right now...with the purchase of..." in the video on the Hyundai U.S media website:
    https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3277
    Sure would be nice if this was extended to recent purchases to include the same model year. Additionally it would be nice to include ALL Kona EVs seeing as what we have had to deal with as of late;)

mho likes this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Thanks for the tip. My 2019 won't get it either I guess. We only pay $0.31 KWh normally at EA.

Just sent an email to EVgo support asking when they will be converting to "Pay for what you get"? Now it's by the minute. They said "EVgo is focused on keeping it simple for our customers – there is a lot of complexity around electricity rates, demand charges, on-peak, off-peak, etc. and we are in the early days of an evolving industry. The industry is moving toward kWh pricing, and while there are still markets where per kWh pricing is not permitted, EVgo is working to make sure any changes to our pricing are done thoughtfully." Polite for saying we make more money off $ per min.

I applaud EA for taking the initiative to make EV's more practical in cold climates such as ours.

ehatch likes this.
  6. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Actually, if Hyundai can't build a partner DCFC network,it should do what some ICE OEM are doing for their BEVs, free DCFC access for _ years. VW ID I think is one.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

With ID.4, you get free charging for 3 years. But When they make it free without any restrictions, it attracts Uber/Lyft drivers.

I used to run into commercial drivers from time to time, but generally they never wanted to bother with 50kW chargers as those were too slow - even when they were free.

9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I was speaking to a removal for an EV adoption barrier ,can't "use."

Free DCFC for early adopters is both a loyalty play,and reward.Tesla gave life time charging to theirs,it also provided free advertising.Provided some exceptions for performance models post the wind down of its life time charging program. It wouldn't surprise me if the V.2 roadster, plaid models get free supercharging.

Commercial usage is a policy issue the OEM can address given they "pay"for the free charging incentive.To your point,an OEM can see which user accounts are abusing a fair usage condition of one's implemented,can exclude commercial use in its T&C,and penalize accordingly.... Commercial usage easily stands out,upwards of 2 ,or more DCFC per day.

To further clarify my remark,free DCFC is an award for an OEM's early adopters,with Hyundai: ioniq,and kona electric,eNiro.

10. radar78

radar78 New Member

Purchased a 2021 Kona Limited on 3-19-21. As such it qualifies for the Electrify America
    250 kwh plan. The electrify america app wants an enrollment code as well as VIN number..
    dealer no help as yet..has anyone previously successfully got one.
    Thanks

11. Not for Canadians. Bummer.

ehatch likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. :)

14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Have you been able to draw 70kW from an EA DCFC? kWh pricing has to become standard since gas is based on gallon/liter,not time based.