EA vs BMW i3 and Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Mar 3, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

So I wanted to compare and contrast what happens when I drive my BMW i3 and Tesla Model 3 to an Electrify America station, same route, for CCS-1 charging.
    • BMW i3 - 10.7680 kWh, 25:18 duration, $7.08
      • Manually stopped: SOC 98%, Grace 00:00
      • Peak rate: 49.99 kW, minimum 3 kW
    • Model 3 - 10.7520 kWh, 19:07 duration, $8.41,
      • Ended by car: SOC 79%, Grace 00:05
      • Peak rate: 38.00 kW, minimum 0 kW
    This data suggests stopping the charge manually may save $8.41 - $7.08 ~= ~$1.33. But it could be a function of charge rate. The BMW charges at maximum of ~50 kW and as it reached the end, ramps down. I'll test manual stopping with Model 3 to see if there is a savings.

BAD NEWS

The station I used, 110028-03, billed fine but I was also billed for another charge station, 110028-01, for two sessions: (1) 2:52:25 - 3:52:01 AM, and; (2) 10:57:26 - 11:09:35 AM. Their billing office will open Monday and we'll have a chat.

When I arrived, the first CCS-1 plug would not work and the station wouldn't work with the second, shorter plug. Calling Service, the station was reset and the short CCS-1 cable worked.

Examination of the failed plug revealed the hook on the CCS-1 latch had been pulled off. So, I bought a roll of orange tape and wrapped the failed plug.

In 2016, I tried three times charging my BMW i3 REx at the Manchester TN, Electrify America station. Each took over a half hour phone call with support and testing every plug. Worse, one attempt totally failed and I rode the Range Extender home.

This most recent experience has not changed my opinion of EA.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

About EA billing, I received two notices of these charges to my Credit Union VISA card:
    • $11.32 - 7/24/2023 paid by COSTCO City Visa
    • $2.27 - 8/5/2023 paid by COSTCO City Visa
    Electrify America and I will have an interesting chat Monday morning. These previously paid charges, double billed, will be taken to my Credit Union.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

So I called up Electrify America billing this morning and here is the rough conversation:
    • Me, "It looks like from the notification sent to my cell phone that I am being double billed for charging sessions that occurred July 24 and August 5th of 2023 and already paid."
    • EA Voice, "You can't go by billing notifications and we can only go back 60 days."
    • Me, "Ok, I'll take my credit card statement to my Credit Union for resolution."
    • EA Voice, "Perfect. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
    • Me, "No, you've shown what an excellent company Electrify America is."
    Am I the only one to have been snookered by these thieves?

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.