Draining the battery

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by prestoOne, Mar 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. prestoOne

prestoOne Member

I have a laptop, tablet etc.....when I drain those below 20% the battery gets damaged a little, its life reduced. What happens when the full advertised range of the battery is used, does that mean it is below 20% and getting damaged?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Nope. There is a built in reserve that is not used for the reasons you stated. That’s indicated by the 2 bars that remain on battery gauge when EV range goes to zero and ICE is utilized.
    There is also a buffer built into the top end so that as our HV battery ages and loses some capacity, it is still within mfg’s approved storage lower limit (Honda does not state what that limit is in order to get warranty service in the 8 yr period). I think the total capacity is around 17 kWh but we only get to use about 14 kWh (not exact #s).

prestoOne likes this.
  4. Damon Ledet

Damon Ledet New Member

Does anyone know if the percentage displayed in the Honda link app takes into account the usable percentage or total battery percentage? Example if app says I have 25% battery left can I use that full amount before the ice kicks in or can I only use say 8% give or take before the ice kicks in?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

My Honda Link displays the same EV range and battery level as the guage on the left of the DDI. This is the usable battery level and % as far as I can tell.