Does the I-Pace compete with the Tesla Model X or 3?

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by Domenick, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

The I-Pace is the first premium all-electric that's not a Tesla (sorry, BMW i3), and it is, ostensibly, an SUV (I feel it slots into the crossover segment, really). So, would you cross-shop it against a Model X or a Model 3?

That's the premise of this post on InsideEVs, and it makes some interesting points, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

At $70,495, the Jag is cheaper than the cheapest Model X and has a bit more range. It's in the same price neighborhood as a loaded Model 3 with AWD, which would have a good bit more range and to my mind, a similar amount of utility.

Which would you choose?

My first instinct is to say "none of the above" and go with the Tesla Model S 75D, which starts at just $5,000 above the I-Pace base, is quicker, has better range, and I suspect has much better utility. Plus, Superchargers.

I haven't driven the Jaguar, but its probably an enjoyable drive. They are planning on racing them, after all. It also looks great inside and out, and it's new, so there's a bit of a novelty factor at play.

I really want to choose it. I'd probably enjoy owning a loaded Model 3 more, though. It's a little smaller, which isn't a bad thing in my book, and its much greater range and performance is a big plus.

The Model X 75D? I haven't driven an X, and there are lots of things I like about them. However, the base 75 isn't for me. Great utility, especially in the 4 or 5 -seat configuration, but I don't need a car that big.

The S 75D? After some pondering, I think I'd prefer the loaded Model 3. The Model S is great, but without all the features of a maxed out 3, the base version can't compete.

So, what about you? Obviously this is a bit oranges and apples, but if you had to choose, would you prefer to peel your fruit or just bite in?
  2. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Hmmm, from a photo of the car, it looks really small, especially in comparison to the size of its wheels.

Contrariwise, comparing wheelbases, I find:

Jaguar I-Pace wheelbase: 117.7"
    Tesla Model 3 wheelbase: 113.2"

Does it have oversized wheels?

Color me confused! :confused:

Anyway, if it really is as small as the photo suggests, small even for a compact, or perhaps it's a largish sub-compact, then the answer to "Does the I-Pace compete with the Tesla Model X or 3?" is...

No. ;)

But if the wheelbase is actually longer than the TM3, then common sense suggests it might be usefully compared to that car. It absolutely cannot be usefully compared to the Model S. That's more of a contrast than a comparison!