Does the "auto" climate control ever recirculate air?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by petteyg359, Jan 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen the climate system turn on the "recirculate" option when on automatic. I don't recall if I saw it last summer, but since October or so, it always uses the outside air, even if it's 20+ degrees colder and the heat is on. Does that somehow prevent windows fogging up, or is that a possible bug?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

I do recall several instances of early car ownership that the remote climate feature (engaged in 40 f temps) fogged the system more than if I had turn the car on and use climate controls there. But I haven't seen this issue since. So my answer is maybe.

4. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Generally, auto climate systems only use recirculate to cool the car down rapidly when first starting in hot weather. Otherwise, fresh air is preferred for a couple of reasons, including fogging.

5. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I too can’t remember the last time Auto set it to recirculate-warm or cold weather. I would think that it would be more efficient to recirculate the cabin air that is closer to target. You do loose the additional air flow from having the vent open though. Of course the second I manually turn on recirculate the windows start to fog so I just let Auto do its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Recirculation in summer = good for max cooling and max dehumidification for comfort.

Recirculation in winter = bad because it causes window fogging by not allowing the moisture building inside the car to escape.

A PHEV is no different than any other car in both of these respects, and the auto setting in most any car is programmed in these ways. So it is operating as designed, for both safety and comfort reasons.

7. To remove this ad click here.