Discussing our BMW i3-REx

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Mar 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

At a local bar, I was discussing our 2014 BMW i3-REx:
    • $29 k for 'end of lease' - pointing out a leased vehicle tends to have good maintenance and infantile problems resolved. Still had a few years of warranty that fixed a known motor mount problem.
    • aluminum frame and carbon body - the early LiON batteries were heavy so a strong, light-weight body compensated for the battery weight.
    • range extender with generator - no transmission but in effect a built-in charger from days when fast DC chargers were few and far between. A modified motorcycle engine it is like a motorcycle trip: (1) drive 1 hr 15 min; (2) truck stop for +2 gallons gas, and; (3) bathroom and coffee break.
    • 72 mile EV range - means it is a '10 stop' car around town as work was 10 miles away. The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime, 25 mile EV range, became driveway art as the Prime was only a '3 stop' car. The BMW was more practical than the Prime.
    • 185 hp at 3,000 lbs - the BMW has serious scoot.
    My thinking is we sell our EVs by concentrating on low operating costs like our Tesla Model 3, $2.75/100 miles, and practicality. That means describing how you handle cross-country driving too, $3.50/100 miles or $3.00 staying at a free breakfast and charging motel.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.