Dealer just informed me that no more 2022 Mini Cooper SE are being produced

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by McSnickles, Jan 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. McSnickles

McSnickles New Member

Hey all, I just received a call that we will not be getting a 2022 that we have been waiting for an allocation since November but instead we will get a 2023 and production should start sometime in April...
    Is this normal? Did I get stuck giving my down payment($1000) to an unprofessional location? Just so weird that they would not honor the agreement for the 2022 but the guy flat out told me that 2022's will be replaced with the 2023's which I have no information on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Cindy B likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

It is time you start looking on cars.com and autotrader.com for new cars. I bought my car from Florida and had it shipped to TN in 2020.

4. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

That sucks. What sort of timescale did they give you for delivery when you put down your deposit in November? Was it significantly earlier than April? When I put mine down at the start of October I was told it would be delivered in March or April, so not too far off what you’ve been told. That being said, mine came much earlier than expected just before Christmas. As I understand it the 2023 is unlikely to be different from the 2022. Available colours and wheel choices may change, but nothing else given that it had a facelift for the 2022 model and there’s an all new one expected for 2024. Doesn’t help you because you are left in the lurch not knowing if the colour you chose will be in the range so as JonR suggested, it may be worth looking around to see if you can find one sitting new at a dealer somewhere else.

Cindy B likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Normally a model year change is no big deal. My order went from a 2020 to a 2021 with no changes (it turns out the only 2020s are the originals released by MINI as part of the SE launch). The switchover to 2022 was a bigger difference, because of the significant front-end modifications. MINI switched to the 2022 model year in March 2021, I believe, which is earlier than typical.

The question is will the 2023 model be the same as the 2022 model, or is it the new, smaller version? If so, that's a monumental change.

NewGreen, Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones caught in the changeover between the 2021 and the 2022 LCI - and it was at the same time last year. I placed my deposit / order on 1/6/21. As it turned out, I was glad that I ended up with the 2022. It had added features and changes to looks and badging which I preferred to the 2021. So your treatment here is not unusual, @McSnickles . Once they reach the cut-off date that Mini has decided on, the potential buyers have no choice on which model year they can get ordered.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. M_Gravity

M_Gravity New Member

I was trying to place an order yesterday and was told that I could not pace any 2022 orders anymore. Would you mind sharing where you placed an order last year, I mean online on mini website or thru a sales person at the dealership?
    Also, did you they honor the same pricing for the 2022?

Any details and specifics will be much appreciated.

9. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

There's no question--it will be the same as the 2022 model. They haven't debuted the new one yet, which always occurs well in advance of the launch.

10. GvilleGuy

For a major redesign, right? The LCI for 2022 was announced after they cut off the orders for 2021. The first official post about the LCI was 1/26/21 after they cut off orders several weeks before.

Miguel A Dessavre likes this.
  11. chrunck

Good point, I forgot how short notice that was. Still, I'd expect them to show it off at an auto show like they have in the past. Though maybe those days are over.

Miguel A Dessavre and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

The 2022 is essentially LCI2 which is quite unusual as it’s typically a single LCI in the lifespan of a model. I can’t see them doing an LCI3; particularly when there’s a new model waiting in the wings for 2024. I think it’ll be colours and wheels, and maybe you guys in the States will get the option of adaptive headlights like we have over here. I could of course be completely wrong and they’ll release a Formula E safety car replica with a battery double the size and dual motors, but I’m sure we’ll find out soon.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I ordered in August, 2019 but couldn't get a 2020 SE. My 2021 SE arrived in August 2020.

15. M_Gravity

M_Gravity New Member

I tried calling ASK MINI to see if they can give me any information. They said that they do not have any concrete information (not surprised) but according to the historic information, there will be technical updates ( like offering higher trim options on the lower trims) at the most.
    The advisor did point out that since they had "Major Update" ( According to them) for l2022, it will be a carry over. Makes sense, why would they do a LCI in 2022 if they wanted to introduce a completely new redesign in the next year.

On the bright side, I am hoping they bring the island blue color out of the electric collection or better yet, make it available with the signature trim as well. Right now, you have to get signature plus to get the Electric Collection.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. McSnickles

McSnickles New Member

Thank you all for the many replies. It makes me feel better that nothing weird is going on and I have no problem waiting a bit more.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I must either live under a favorable star, or I have the best Mini dealer in the world. In mid-July, I stopped by my dealer, and the sales manager and my motoring advisor were moaning about having zero used Mini's to sell. I immediately said, "if you can take back my leased 2020 S, you can sell that". They knew I was looking for an SE, and my MA said "let's see what I can find". In about ten minutes, he found exactly what I was looking for - color, trim, everything - at the port in New Jersey. I drove it off the lot on July 29. It might have helped that I was a repeat customer (the SE is my fifth Mini). They even installed a Union Jack on the sunroof! The 2020 disappeared in about three days.

18. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

It does seem a little extreme if you put an order in back in November that they didn’t get a ‘22 allocation. They could have been a little more upfront with you on the expected delivery times. I just put down my deposit ($250) last Friday and the dealer said if I had been a week earlier I would have probably gotten a ‘22. I have three dealerships equally close to me and they all said 10-12 weeks from order to delivery so I knew I probably would end up with a ‘23. I was told to expect a March build and April delivery after I put in my deposit. Won’t be able to place the actual order for another month.

Downsides of the ‘23: I am expecting a bump in price for the ‘23 of around $2k. The price didn’t change last year but most manufacturers are increasing MSRP’s on the order of 5-10%. But perhaps not as every year the EV market gets more competitive. Crossing my fingers that the tax credits don’t get lowered while I wait.

What I am hopeful for: they solve chip shortage issues and bring back the ACC as an option for the Sig. I would also like a blue color, but would prefer something darker than island blue. Slight chance they can get approval for adaptive headlights now that they are legal in US.

19. chrunck

The more I think about it, the more I think MINI will debut the new electric car in China for the first model year before bringing it to western markets. Work out the kinks locally while they also prep the new ICE hardtop.

20. GvilleGuy

Iconic trim level was my preference - if the electric blue collection had bean an option for Iconic, I would have been sorely tempted to go that route.

Miguel A Dessavre likes this.
  21. SAP93

SAP93 New Member

I built my mini yesterday after test driving at my local dealer and was told June is when I'd receive my mini and it would be a '23 model. I am hoping the new model that is floating around on the internet is actually the '24 model and not the '23 because it is is a significant change that I do not like .

22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

23. M_Gravity

M_Gravity New Member

Well, if some from of BBB passes, the tax credit of $7500 will be reduced to $4500 since it needs to have at least 40kw for full credit. The new one I believe will have that and would qualify for full credit and I am sure will have much better range than the current one if you have any range concerns.

with out the tax credits, Mini SE is expensive and I would not buy it.