Comma Two Installation - Documentation is finished

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, Mar 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. meooem222

meooem222 New Member

Thanks, Awesome write up. So far what are the benefits and improvements over stock? Are you going to add the torque mod to improve the steering on sharper curves? That is my common annoyance with LKAS.

3. Three things I found to be better or not available with the OEM.

Lane awareness: The Comma kept the car centered in the lane. The OEM wanders from lane line to lane line.

Slow car detection: On the freeway there was a slow car in front of me. Quite a ways ahead. The Comma slowed down and paced the car at a greater distance than the OEM. I find the OEM to be somewhat inconsistent when deciding how far back my car should stay.

Lane change: This one freaked me out a bit. If you are driving over 45 mph (iirc) when you use the turn signal and tug on the steering wheel a bit the Comma will change lanes for you.

3x torque is part of a different build and I might install that one later. It's easy to change. It's just one line in the entries when installing.

I've only done one 8 mile test trip so far. I'm going out again after I get some network problems cleared up at home.

Comma is amazing. It only took one 8 mile drive to convince me.

Madmartigen likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I will admit that I have not taken the time to try and understand Comma very well at all.

You clearly have...
    I am curious - Is there a reason that the Clarity (with the factory sensors, and some kind of major software / firmware update) couldn't obtain equivalent performance to this? Does Comma utilize much more processing horsepower than what is available in the Clarity and/or add additional sensor(s)?

I have been surprised and dissapointed that Honda has provided essential zero performance enhancements to the Clarity software. On the one hand, you could argue that their design was very thorough and robust. On the other hand, it is unbeleiveble (especially with an experimental / development vehicle) that there aren't significant improvements that could be rolled out after 3+ years of actual user experience. This is the polar opposite of the Tesla approach which constantly incorporates OTA imptovements.

5. You are asking asking questions I cannot answer. You might try going to Discord, find VanillaGorillaa, and message him. He works for Comma.ai. In fact there are probably a lot of members that know.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Hey Tek_Freek, Congratulations on your successful installation of the Comma2. Welcome to the club! I agree it is an amazing and dramatic improvement over the stock system. I use the @wirelessnet2 version with the 3x torque steer, by the way. I highly recommend going for the added torque steer. Here is a YouTube video I made that shows off the performance of the 3x torque steer.

8. Does that fork let you set LKAS without setting cruise control?

I watched that video the other day. Does a great job.

9. Yes. Indirectly. Once you override the ACC with the regen paddle, the LKAS continues to function while longitudinal control is maintained entirely by the gas pedal.

10. Ill try that tomorrow. I tried just starting LKAS and didn't have time to play around. Appreciate that.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I should add that with the @wirelessnet2 fork, if you touch the brake then the Comma2 disengages entirely.

13. I'm using VG and his does as well. I'd not want that unless it did. Dangerous.