Clarity saves money on gas! Well...duh!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Jul 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We bought our 2018 Base model Clarity in November, 2018. We track expenses, and now have a handle on some savings on gas, year-to-year.

Caveats: We have 3 other vehicles - a 2005 Honda Element, a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and a 2011 Ford Flex. They still get driven periodically for their own strengths. And we have not factored in the changing price of gas. In each year we made at least two FL trips, plus a couple trips to Indiana. But we tend to drive the Clarity whenever possible for the savings in gas.

But I now know exactly how much we paid for gas in the first 6 months of the following years:

2019: $985.07
    2018: $1,914.01
    2017: $1,932.73
    2016: $1,296.21

2016 preceded building our E TN home, so there were not the weekly - or more - 90 mile trips back and forth to N GA.

But overall, right now it looks likes we're spending roughly $2,000/yr less on gas now that we have the Clarity. Of course, electricity isn't free, either, so that has to be kept in mind. But on gas cost alone, $10k projected savings in 5 years is nice to see.

I plan to update the numbers at the end of the year. Wondering if anyone else has done similar analyses.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We fired up our roof solar system at the very end of 2017, and bought the Clarity the same month. Combined house electricity + car gas dropped $2,500 in 2018.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

We went from a 2007 Accord (~30 mpg) to the Clarity.
    At current gas prices ($2.60) and electric at $0.12/kWh (we have been 70% electric), we would have to drive approximately 46,000 miles per year to save $2000.
    Since we only drive only ~12K in our current scenario, our savings are only around 1/4 of yours (~$500).
    The more you drive, the more you save !!

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

My cost savings will be pretty close to what MrFixit posted. My last car was a Subaru Outback that typically returned 25mpg. Electric costs .10 to .12 cents per KWh depending on time of year in my area. I bought the Clarity as I like the quiet ride, it doesn't heat up my garage in summertime after driving on electric, and doesn't need an time-consuming warm up in the winter.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Since the Clarity is our 3rd PHEV, it's not going to save much over the previous plug-ins but...... since my wife snatched it away from me :eek: it will be replacing our OutBack on her commute. @ $2.50 gallon this will save us as much as $1200/yr in gas costs alone. We have a "free nights" electricity program.

7. To remove this ad click here.