Charging rate to match solar output

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Electric Rich, Oct 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi all, I'm just trying to adjust 'charging' rates on my 2019 Kona so it only draws 3-4000 watts whilst charging at home using my 7kw charger..
    I have gone into EV, charging setting and adjusted to 'reduced' but it still seems to draw 7000watts.
    I'll try 'minimum' next I guess unless anyone can tell me a better way is possible?

Thanks

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Here in N.A. we have a separate charge current reduction setting for L1 (120V) and L2 (240V), a picture of that screen in the charge management might help, possibly there is only the one setting in your area assuming Australia, in which case a full reduction may be the only option using your existing EVSE.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Electric Rich likes this.
  4. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks Eddy, I'll try it out tomorrow.

5. That should work at the “minimum setting”. Yes, we have just one AC rate adjustment in our 230V-only countries.
    Other options might be if the wall box has an internal adjustment for 16A, or use the 8A portable unit.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

ok thanks, pretty sure the charger is fixed, but i'll report what 'minimum' setting produces.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. What wall box do you have? My Wallbox wall box has an app that enables me to adjust the amperage. I can theoretically charge from as low as 6 amps to 32 amps. I often finish the last 10% with 10 amps which is about 2 kw from memory. I have never tried to adjust it through the car's BMS.

9. Oops, I'm wrong about the portable and station settings, we have both in our 230V-only countries. I believe the delineation falls between 13 and 15 amps.

I measured this result some years ago for the 8 amp portable but I think the ratios are the same for whatever current the EVSE offers the EV.
    AC current settings.PNG

10. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

When I tried the minimum setting yesterday, my solar app still reported I was drawing around 5kw/h. I was hoping the 'minimum' setting would be lower but at least its less than 7kw and that means im using less grid power than before.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

To answer your question Ferenc, I have a jetcharge home charger, 7kw. I'm not aware of any app that allows me to lower output sadly.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JET Charge seems to be an installer rather than a maker of EVSEs. Check the manual of your charger and it might tell you if it can be internally set to a lower current. Or post the make and model and I'll look it up.

14. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi Kiwi, its the
    Delta AC [​IMG]Mini Plus EV charger 7.4kW

KiwiME likes this.
  15. Yes Kiwi is correct. I don't know the Delta AC, but here is the Au link. www.deltaww.com/en-US/products/EV-Charging/3906/ From what I read you should be able to adjust it. There are two PDF documents available. I couldn't see a specific app for Delta ev charging on the Apple app store but the manual may have one.

16. Yes, as best as I can see you can set it for 25, 20 or 16 amps internally.

upload_2022-10-11_18-46-22.png

electriceddy and Ferenc Jakab like this.
  17. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, thanks, not sure I could just take the cover off and have a play. Electrician required you think?
    I'm not sure I'd know what to try and set it to in all honesty.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Shut off breaker, take cover off, set dip switch (as shown up, down, down) to 100 for a 16A draw (first 3 positions from left). This should get you 3680 W, exactly what you want. The car will tell you the kW charging to verify. No electrician required.;)

19. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks Eddy, I'll let you know if Im brave enough to give it a crack.

20. I'm using the EVSE from OpenEVSE, where you can send to the EVSE a maximum charge power through MQTT (which can be matched to your solar production). It works nicely! https://www.openevse.com/ . Alternatively, you can manually set the maximum current by 1 amp increment from the web interface.

21. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi Eddy, just thought I'd let you know, i set the far left set of switches to down, up,up. As per the picture for 16A above. It now charges at around 3.1 KW which is just about what I need. I'm curious though, the switches were all up when i opened it. Picture above suggests thats 6A? How would that allow 7kw charging if its set to 6A? Maybe my understanding of ampage is a bit screwy :).
    Either way, happy now.
    Thanks for the pictures Kiwi.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. "All up" (111) looks like 32A to me and that's 7.4 kW.

23. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks, the picture for 6A looks the same as 32A to me. You must be right though