Charging 7 below zero F , SOC 24% , Battery temp 40

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by OneEV, Jan 14, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Pulling 80kW on a Tesla Magicdock today , Didnt really need to charge just wanted to see what I could pull at these temps negative -7 F ,batterytemp was 40F considering I was @ 24% SOC 80kW not bad.

took 15 minutes for battery PTC heater to bring battery temp to 70 F (low temp) , by that time I was already just over 50% soc so not a big boost in charging speed , seen 86kW.

BTW.. there was a red chevy bolt in the parking lot, looks like it sat there all night , a guy in an older econvan pulled up and asked how I got the Tesla magicdock working. It was his chevy bolt he couldnt figure out how to use the Tesla MagicDock(last night) and had 35 miles to go with only 10 miles of range . As we were talking his Tow Truck arrived. Not that difficult he should have simply pulled up a youtube video but I thiink frustratiion got the best of him would have saved hima tow fee

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

My experience with charging speed at sub-zero temperatures is that it depends on the temperature. The lower the temperature, the slower the charging speed. I have a Kona EV. At -15°C and below, I get about 25 kW speed from a 50 kW fast charger.