Chargers + Adapters for NEMA 6-20 Outlets

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob_EV_newb, Nov 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bob_EV_newb

Bob_EV_newb New Member

New to all this, but tried unsuccessfully to search for an answer to my question.

I have a dedicated 20A / 240 V circuit with a NEMA 6-20R installed (was installed with a renovation by the previous owner about 10 years ago).

I have an EV whose charging is limited to 16A, and would like to install a smarter charger (e.g. Chargepoint) that only offers certain plugs like the 6-50 or the 14-50. I would obviously only use the lowest rating for the charger to avoid exceeding the circuit limit as well as the limit of the vehicle. I'd prefer not to hardwire the charger in.

Has anyone used an adapter for the more common plugs below? Is it safe?

https://www.amazon.com/6-20P-6-50R-Power-Adapter-Adaptor/dp/B07CZ6TZZQ/
    https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-60141-Adapter-6-20P-14-50R/dp/B07GZBZCYS/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have several adapters that I use with my 32 amp GE. My charger has a 14-50 plug. It has four settings (12,16, 24,32 amps) which correspond to 15, 20, 30 and 40 amp circuits. Its fine to use adapters as long as you are aware that for a continuous running charger according to code you should never run at more than 80% of the circuits rated value. In your case using the 20 amp circuit you should keep the charge current at or below 16 amps . For your case I would also make sure the adapter has proper wire size in the adapter. The second adapter says it 10 awg ( American wire gauge size). Code requires a minimum of 12 awg. 10 awg is even better. Smaller #'s are larger wires with less resistance and less heating.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I find it useful to set the current limit in the car. So I feel comfortable with 90% for a short charge session.

Bob Wilson

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Starting with the 2020 NEC, all adjustable amperage EVSEs must be hardwired ("Fastened in Place"). Not allowed on "Fixed in Place" (plug in units) or Portable units designed to be carried in the car.

Not trying to open an argument about what the NEC should say, only what it does say.

But as to the OPs question, the best solution would be putting a 6-20P on the unit itself. Easy enough to do with a plug from the hardware store and a bit of cord. Or a premade cord like:
    https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-parts/electrical-parts/power-cords/commercial-20-amp-1-two-thirds-equipment-power-cord/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqo3-BRDoARIsAE5vnaIYnrrDlALdVvZsMoxJ2JRJ6_4ipzqM2I7PSThJg__Bx6lD-FONE9kaAo-LEALw_wcB

The adapters linked will work, but not recommended by Chargepoint (or any other EVSE manufacturer) and don't meet NEC requirements.

Fastnf likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

First off, the proposed NEC code means dryers and some washing machines will require something other than the traditional 240 VAC plugs. It may be an insurance requirement but I'm really not impressed. There are orders of magnitude more clothing dryers (and wives) and eventually ... someone should get a clue.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DucRider

Don't know anything about that.

NEC 625 only applies to electric vehicle charging and that is the section of code I look to for EVSE installations.

What codes are changing that impact washers and dryer receptacles?

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

"Adjustable amperage" means what, exactly? All EVSE adjust the amperage based upon the signal on the control pilot line. Or does it mean that the user can change the upper limit via an app or some such?

10. DucRider

[​IMG]
    It actually means the user should not have ready access to the adjusting means. The installer will need to set the amperage of the EVSE to match the circuit.
    Adjusting thru a user app is prohibited.

Equipment with a plug must be "Portable" or "Fastened in place" (tool free removal)
    [​IMG]
    This section applies specifically to Electric Vehicle charging and not any other appliances or devices

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.

11. For Level one and Level 2 the settings in the car or on the charger adjust and limit the maximum current flow to the car. Its dc fast charging where the pilot signal controls the maximum. Level 1 and 2 the currents are low enough that the wattage is fairly constant.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DucRider

The EVSE "advertises" the amperage it can provide via the pilot signal. The charger (in the vehicle) controls the charge session and knows how much current the EVSE can provide.
    The adjustable settings in the EVSE are to allow a single unit to be configured for use on different sized circuits. The adjustment in the EVSE will change the maximum amperage the unit will draw and therefore the pilot signal sent to the vehicle will also change (possible that only the pilot signal is changed as a way to limit current draw, but I would not design an EVSE this way)

Fastnf likes this.
  14. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

The folks at Open ESVE have stated that as long as the EVSE has a plug, then it doesn't fall under the NEC regulations. I see the advertiser here, Grizzle, also sells an adjustable EVSE.

Grizzle states that local jurisdictions may require the EVSE to be connected to a circuit that can supply the maximum current capacity of the EVSE if they are using an app to control the current settings.

So the question now remains, who is correct?

15. DucRider

The NEC very specifically calls out EVSEs with plugs (in two different classifications), sets standards and requirements for them as far as cord length, type of plug allowed, location of the required Personal Protection system, and other criteria. Open EVSE (and others) are apparently taking the position that their devices do not have to comply with local electrical codes (most will have section 625 of the NEC incorporated with no changes). Will someone write you a ticket or give you a fine? Extremely unlikely. But it does call into my mind what other codes, rules, and safety standards such companies have decided to ignore because they "don't apply to them" (or are inconvenient/expensive to implement)?

Does the NEC prohibition of adjustable amperages on EVSEs with plugs make sense to me? Not entirely. But the discussion is about what the NEC does specify - not what it should.

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Just because NEC changes, doesn't mean that the changes trickle down to the local level:
    https://www.nfpa.org/NEC/NEC-adoption-and-use/NEC-adoption-maps

[​IMG]

I think one can conclude that every locality will *eventually* adopt newer regulations. The 2020 code is just too new, and most states haven't picked it up. Our state is still 2014.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are some updates in progress - from the same link:
    [​IMG]