Charge History, Interesting Chart

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Nov 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have been keeping track of ALL electrical energy input since purchasing the Clarity in November 2018.
    So far, we have charged the car 206 times with a total energy input of 2322 kWh. Over this same time, we have used 53 gallons of gas. Overall 10,500 odometer miles (about 75% are EV miles). If this driving pattern persists, there will be approximately 2,000 charge cycles over a 10 year period.

This is a chart showing all 206 charge cycles... It is an interesting view of the big picture.

upload_2019-11-25_22-7-3.png

TomL and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FWIW: Many lithium battery manufacturers claim that their batteries can provide 3000-5000 full discharge/charge cycles and still retain 70% of their original capacity. A full cycle is typically considered to be 90%-20%-90%. Roughly half of your charges look to be the 14kWh variety.

In 10 years, you’ll have ~1000 full charge cycles and ~1000 less than full cycles.

What is interesting is the gradual reduction in max kWh’s from just above 14 to just below 14. It could be due to the DOD at the beginning of each charge cycle or it could be an indication of reduced battery capacity.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that trend too... Early on, a 'full' charge was running around 14.4. Now, it is maybe 13.6 (almost a 6% reduction).
    I thought this might be seasonal, but now it is getting cold again and it may not be increasing. It will be interesting to watch this through the winter.

I have not recorded the GOM miles resulting from these charges, but it was in the mid 50's throughout spring an summer. Now it is in the upper 40's, and I'm sure it will go below 40 in the dead of winter. I do try to let the battery go all the way down to it's 2 bars when on a trip that is longer than the EV range. I'll pay closer attention to making sure I'm getting full discharges throughout the mix.

Ultimately I am anxiously awaiting the availability of an affordable OBD2 tool that can read battery details including capacity. I did gt the initial capacity from the dealer when I bought the car. The best hope has been the Autel AP200, but they have failed to deliver on promised updates that would include this capability.