CCS defender

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source:

• After having to power-on restart his EV to get a Tesla distribution charger to work, he blames Tesla for not implementing J1772. Restarting his car to charge suggests his car has a problem.
    • Incorrectly asserts Tesla reports NACS is a 1,000 A connector. Tesla reports: 500 VDC at 400 A, 200 kW. But we know Tesla regularly allows to higher trim models, 625 A, 400 VDC, 250 kW.
    • Trivializes the latch problem of the J1772 and CCS-1 plugs.
    The strange thing is this YouTube touches pretty much all of the J1772/CCS-1 problems which he tries to diminish and dismiss. Aside from some obvious inaccuracies, a reasonable rant. Sad to say, he accepts no comments on his YouTube page.

For a future podcast, you might consider inviting the author:

Alec Watson, better known online as Technology Connections, is an American YouTuber who makes educational videos focusing primarily on the history and evolution of technology. He often goes in depth into the history on the topic of the discussion.

Given his fact errors, I won't be following him.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I had caught that one before linked it, in fact. Recommend watching on 1.25x or 1.5x speed, it's a
    bit longwinded...

But my impression was one of general ambivalence, not just defending CCS. The fact that the "signaling",
    as he refers to it, is the same through both physical connectors mitigates a lot of the issues.

And he's dead-nuts right about the "app problem". See my next General post.

_H*

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm OK with an RFID reader added to future Superchargers and even retrofitted to the current inventory. If that meets the credit card interface requirement for IRS funding, go for it. My Tesla has two RFID readers.

Bob Wilson

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Autocharge would also work given an accessible signup method, would support older vehicles, and is
    actually less easy to steal / spoof than an RFID card.

_H*