Car scanner and ELM327 connection

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Maple, Nov 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Maple

Maple Member

I bought an ELM327 OBDII adapter and installed car scanner on my iPhone. Car scanner has no problem connect to ELM327 but could not connect to ECU. Any one had the same problem? IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2424.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Did you purchase one of the adapter brands recommended by Car Scanner?

4. Maple

Maple Member

Not sure which are car scanner recommended adapters but car scanner is the recommended app of this adapter. I suspect some settings I might miss

5. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

There are a lot of cheap adapters out there that don’t work, despite their claims. It is always better to start with the software...

KiwiME likes this.
  6. This might just be a dumb question but I will ask any way just in case? Did you select the Hyundai, Kona electric in the setting prior to trying to connect to the car. If not click on the setting gear in the upper right hand corner of the app. Then select vehicle options. Vehicle options is the fifth item on the list under settings. Select Hyundai, select Kona EV and it should then connect. If you already did this I would try again before changing to a different obd II adapter

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maple

Maple Member

Yes Kona EV is selected.

9. Ok. So this is the OBD II scanner that I am using and it works well with my I phone 6 plus. It puts out a wifi signal as opposed to a bluetooth but I haven't had any problem with it. I just select it under wifi signal on the phone setting. I already owned it so it wasn't purchased with this app in mind put still it works well. I got it off of Amazon a year or so ago.

IMG_3129.JPG

10. Maple

Maple Member

This is mine looks the same IMG_2423.JPG

11. Very similar. I just tested mine and it worked whether the car is off or on. Just plugged it in and selected the wifi and it connects right up. I have mainly been looking at all sensors and also have checked data recording and all are working on mine. There is much more data available when the car is on obviously. Not sure whats causing your error. Do you have access to a second obd II that you could test it on just to see if you get similar results?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. What data are you seeing when the car is off? I've not seen realtime data from my Bluetooth dongle unless the Kona is in Run mode or charging.

14. Here are two screen shots. The first is with the car in run the second is with the car powered off. Notice the difference in OBD voltage. First I started car scanner with the car in run. Then I turned the power off for the second reading. Car scanner will not connect with the power off put if it is already connected it will maintain some readings after the car is powered down. I did notice that there was no high voltage or cell readings in the battery pack once it was powered down.

Let me know if there is some thing specific you want to see and I will scroll through the data and post a screen shot if its available.

fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2f9.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  15. I
    I was able to reproduce the same error you got. It turns out the car must be in run mode when you first connect to " Car Scanner" If you try to connect with out putting the car in the run mode (ready to drive ) you get the error. To correct this simply press disconnect on the car scanner app, place the car in the run mode and press connect again and you should be good to go.

16. Maple

Maple Member

My car was turned on when I did the test. I suspect the connection advanced settings incorrect. I put screenshots here. Are they the same as yours? TIA
    IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2429.JPG

17. Here are screen shots of all my connection settings. The first page is the general settings , the last three are the advanced settings. looks like there are several differences in our settings hop this helps

fullsizeoutput_2fe.jpeg fullsizeoutput_300.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2ff.jpeg fullsizeoutput_301.jpeg

18. Maple

Maple Member

I put all settings the same as yours still no lucky. Possibly the ELM327 is not compatible with my car. Any chance you can share the store link of your ELM327? may I need buy it from the same vendor.

19. Maple

Maple Member

Just update. I bought an icar pro OBD2 adapter on Amazon.ca IMG_2464.JPG and use car scanner on my iPhone. Works perfectly. IMG_2463.JPG

Fastnf likes this.
  20. I'll just note that the OBD voltage is an analog measurement at the port, not delivered as network data.

Fastnf likes this.
  21. David Richard

David Richard New Member

Will it keep draining the battery when plugged in?
    The power connection within the OBDII port is constantly on and provides voltage directly from the battery. If there is electricity available, the OBDII device you’ve connected to it will draw it and drain the battery.

22. I have Veepeak. My Car scanner (iPhone 11) won't connect to it. I switch to another (bluetooth) adapter I had for Engine Link for Car scanner.