Cannonball Attempt

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Apr 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source:

• 3 hours - like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. It almost took me as long wall clock time as the record they were trying to beat. I appreciate their testing workarounds for some unstable fast DC chargers.
    • HONEST - in the past, I'd been put off by too many superlatives often 'backhanding' the absence of the gold standard. Ignoring the elephant in the room does not make the elephant go away. It is good to see a wholistic report with both the gems and goats.
    • Been there (and got a stinky T-shirt) - my solo, Huntsville Al to Albuquerque NM was 1,300 miles in 30 hours. That long of a drive would have been impossible without Autopilot and later, FSD. I don't know if there is a solo Cannonball run record but I'm intrigued.
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for the link! Just thinking about trying a Cannonball Run makes me tired, so I'll sleep well tonight.

4. bwilson4web

IMHO Kyle and his team deserve our thanks. Having done 'butt buster' EV trips, I fully appreciate the time, cost, and fatigue they put themselves through. BTW, I counted at least 10 people who supported this massive effort.

Congratulations to Alysia (sp?) and her sister's help who set the PHEV record. <GRINS> My late wife of 43 years was also cute and clever ... she caught me.

Bob Wilson

Domenick and insightman like this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Another sad conformation on the poor state of CCS charging today.

Did they ever figure out what was making the noise/vibration with the Lucid when they were charging.

6. bwilson4web

Recommended question for Friday's program, @Domenick.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. As Bob says, this is a good question for Friday. Thanks!

I just finished watching it earlier today. I had to do it in several chunks as well. And YouTube still hadn't finished the high-definition processing until the last bit today so, I watched most of it in 360p. o_O
    SPOILER ALERT!!! Don't read if you don't want to know what happens.
    It was a little disappointing they didn't make the record, but as @marshall and others have said: it's a good snapshot of the state of our fast-charge infrastructure right now and it's...not great out there.
    There's a ton of new chargers going in the ground over the next couple of years. The thing is, they have to put in enough to keep up with the increases in the national electric fleet which, after looking back over the past few years, I don't have a ton of confidence it will happen that way.

It was also great to see lots and different kinds of EVs at the different charging stations. It was also great to see how the Lucid handled the trip - pretty darn good, aside from a balky charge port door...and what ever that clunking was.