BuyIng Used Bolt that was in the Buyback Program

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by RickSE, Dec 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I just agreed to buy a 2021 Premier with a buyback title. Car has 4k miles on it, and seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Doesn’t have a new battery, but after rebates the net cost will be about $10k. Any advice for a new bolt owner?

OneEV likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That is definitely a very good deal. Maybe you can also still get a new battery with the recall.

4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

As for as I can tell I’ll have the 80% charging limit enforced for 6200 miles. The only way to get a new battery is if the software detects a problem. Still has 6 years left on the warranty so have to live with that.

5. Harvey

Harvey Member

i was under the understanding the recall covered all batteries.
    i see some used ones popping up lately and thought that this is why i see them.
    but if they don't come with a new battery, it might not be worth the savings so much.
    i would need it to get the full range sometimes.
    so, are you saying it's limited only for another 6200 miles, then you can full charge?
    and what does buyback title do to insurance?

6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

From everything I’ve read, the battery is limited to 80% for the first 6.2k miles and then goes to 100%. In general I would only change the battery to 100% if I need to go on a road trip, but I have that luxury and others might not. From an insurance perspective the price is the same for me in my state, but that might not be the same everywhere. Resale will definitely take a hit, but I drive my cars into the ground. If my use case was to exchange cars every few years I wouldn’t buy one of these.

Harvey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Harvey

Harvey Member

so recall wasn't for all, and some got the software update i found.
    took possession of a 2023 bolt premier euv redline, sun/surf in metallic midnight black.
    alberta is expensive without any help here.
    but we like and it suits us perfectly.
    charge at home and everywhere we go is 98% returnable without charging.
    love the cheap cost of driving too.
    all of about $9 to fill to full from empty.
    even with the newer bigger battery.
    we decided to find a new one instead of shopping around used.