Buying a BEV, possible to avoid sales tax? (and tax credits question)

Discussion in 'General' started by Rothgarr, Jun 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I'm looking at getting a BEV (likely a Model 3). Are there states that don't charge sales tax on the purchase of a BEV?

I live in Connecticut, but I’m wondering if I should purchase it in a surrounding state (NJ, NY, MA). The reason I ask is I think NJ has no sales tax on plug-in vehicles. I can’t find via Google which states have this incentive. Does anyone know a resource to confirm states that do this?

And in addition to the federal tax credits (up to $7,500), some states also have state incentives – for example I believe CT has a $2,000 tax credit. Is there a resource that has this info as well?

I guess I'm trying to determine the best state to purchase an electric vehicle when it comes to sales tax and tax credits? And I’m not sure if it makes a difference that I’m a CT resident if I purchase a car out of state if I'd have to pay those taxes anyway.

Any suggestions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

If you purchase out of state, CT will collect the sales tax when you register the car.
    State incentives are also only available for residents of that State and usually require the car be registered in state for a minimum amount of time.

Purchase where you live and you will get all the incentives you qualify for.

Interactive incentive map:
    https://pluginamerica.org/why-go-plug-in/state-federal-incentives/

BC-Doc likes this.
  4. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

That makes sense. And thanks for the link -- was exactly what I was looking for.