Both lights blinking on level 1 charger?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DapperDano, Apr 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

This morning I woke up to find my Clarity had stopped charging at 55% and both the orange and the green lights on the charger were blinking.

I unplugged and then plugged it back in and it started charging again. Anyone know what the blinking lights mean?

I’ve had my car for almost 3 months and had never experienced this issue before.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I suspect that you had a power fluctuation that was severe enough to trigger the protective circuit. Unless it starts happening more often I wouldn't fret.

neal adkins likes this.
  5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I have mine connected thru an APC line conditioner which controls and regulates 120V power - keeping brownouts and spikes from reaching the protected equipment....

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

See p 461 and 462 in the manual for details of what the different combinations of indicators signify.
    Both Power and Charge blinking on the brick signify a rise in plug temperature due to a bad electrical contact at the outlet. The Clarity usually charges at a much lower level when this happens and the green charge light at the car charging port will stay green showing you’re getting some level of charge.
    Can you tell us what it was indicating?

The Clarity can be overly sensitive to power fluctuations, especially at public EVSEs. If you haven’t had the all updates installed, especially Service Bulletin 18-097 for charging problems, you should.

I suggest you check the connection(s) at the outlet and extension cord (if used) and make sure they are tight and in good order. And for the next few charges, check and see if they are getting hot.

If that’s not the case and it’s just a one time affair, it may have been a power fluctuation from the grid and/or your house. In any event check those connections and make sure to get the 18-097 update.

Note that the 18-097 is not usually installed by a dealer unless you complain of charging problems. Evidently if they just do it without a reason, Honda won’t reimburse them. So the squeaky wheel gets the grease on this one and you can’t assume that it’s already been done.

Here’s a screen shots of the pages
    5565FAF4-4349-4BE6-97C6-ACABDED0C1BB.png E11C270B-3571-4747-AE32-F1C11FFE51D8.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    DapperDano and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

Thanks for the info, all. When I got home tonight I charged for about an hour and checked the box and the plug. They were both a little warm. I changed outlets and will check again in an hour. Is a little warm ok? I think I might just be paranoid now.

9. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I suppose we all have different interpretations of "a little warm" but it sounds OK to me.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'd say a little warm is pretty normal, too hot to touch for several seconds is a problem.

neal adkins likes this.
  11. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

Just to update, I used the other outlet and the plug is cool to the touch. The other outlet was not alarmingly warm, but I’m surprised at the difference. I’ll be using the new one now heh.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.