Boosting with Kona?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Jan 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

My parents' car battery is dead...

I have a Kona EV and a clarity PHEV...
    Can I boost the car using either one of these?
    I don't even know if the batteries in the Kona ev are strong enough to start a gas engine

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Probably not. The Kona battery is not meant to crank an engine.

In theory the high voltage battery has enough power and if it happens to charge the 12V when you do that it might work, but it's still questionable if that's a good idea.

4. I'm pretty sure the manual says you can't boost with the Kona since it's a smaller 12v battery. But the Kona can be boosted by another car.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

5. The Kona appears to have a battery suited to a small ICE car with 410 "cold cranking amps" ability and 45 Ah capacity.
    I see no reason why you can't use it to start a small ICE if you disconnect one of the terminals to ensure the Kona is not involved, but it's a risk otherwise.

upload_2020-1-30_15-29-10.png

6. From what I have seen most manufacturers specify not to do it including Tesla (could void warranty) and Nissan (couldn't find it in the Kona manual). But the following website says the following:

"...This could extend to unnecessary stress on the 12-volt battery, damage to the DC-to-DC converter, and confusion of the software that monitors the battery."

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/jump-start-car-with-ev/amp/

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The battery might handle it (terminal disconnected) but then you have issues like resetting software configurations, windows and sunroof (if equipped).
    Probably less hassle just to use a conventional battery charger on the ice, and avoid any problems with the Kona's 12 V recharging system after the depletion.

9. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Portable jump-starters have been mentioned in other threads (which is where I learned of them), and they are brilliant. It's a comforting piece of kit that can be stashed in any compartment of the car.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  10. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

+1 for carrying a lithium booster pack - can rescue yourself or others without the hassle of getting the cars close enough for jump leads

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The Kona system probably couldn't *boost* in the classic sense, but it could
    very likely *charge* another battery especially as its rail sits at a pretty high
    voltage relative to typical cars. A little patience should be able to get the
    strandee going.

You might even be able to monitor things with some of the OBD2 tomfoolery
    discussed here.

_H*

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member