BMS Improvement update D 10D042

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Nov 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just had this done during first annual service, this is what I noticed right away:
    Range reduced (GOM) ~10km
    SOC increased ~2%
    No...not the weather, driving conditions etc, right on the lot after the update.
    I don't mind, adding an ~ 2% top end buffer is long overdue (the 3% was not enough to start with), a little less voltage and stress on the cells is probably a good thing.
    I feel this is not just a BMS reset and will recoup with "normal driving" although I will report later.
    Input from anyone else with the same BMS software update and running a 3rd party app, input of cell voltages @ high SOC would be appreciated. Results might vary from MY to MY and various BMS ROM IDs.;)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did the service tech plug in AC charging while working in the car? Mine does, the EVSE is at his workstation and I have seen one or two percent added on pickup.

Kirk likes this.
  4. Was that a recall notice, or just a service item? I checked my VIN for recalls and none showing at this time.

5. Hyundai Oz are listing it as a service item.
    I put mine in to be done and they immediately said that it wasn't ready / available yet.
    That was after Customer Care sent me an email saying to get it done.

6. Hi electriceddy,
    Do you have an OBD2 unit you could plug in to the car and check a couple of things?
    If so, it would be interesting to know the difference between the Display SoC and the BMS SoC.
    I've yet to do the D042 update (but I've had all the others) and Car Scanner shows a difference of 2.5 points between the display and the actual BMS value.
    You've got me wondering if they've raised the gap even further...?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sorry- no phone or app or OBD2,
    All I can tell you is the displayed range went down immediately after successful completion of the software update along with the displayed SOC increase as stated above- car was running during the update and no- the dealer did not plug in during or after the service.
    Hardly notice any difference, has not bothered me. Maybe in summer I will only achieve~ 500km instead of the usual 510. Charges just as fast as before with the usual step downs at the normal charging curve increments.

9. I have all the BMS updates. I am now seeing a consistent 94% BMS SOC and max individual cell voltage of 4.14 when the car is fully charged to indicated 100% . When the car was new 2 years ago it showed 96.5% and 4.17 cell voltage at full charge. I suppose it could suggest 2.5% degradation but voltage change was relatively new and I suspect it has something to do with the software.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  10. Yeah, it seems more than a coincidence since the loss in fully charged cell voltage is going to be roughly 2.5%.

Tracking coulombs (Ah) between low and high SoC values (over OBD2) might reveal if there's been a loss of capacity. Even taking single readings of CCC and CDC at both a low and high SoC could be enough data. If you calculate the slope between two points of (CDC-CCC) at a known low and high SoC that should extrapolate to 180 Ah per 100%, or lower if degraded.

11. Ouch, that's about 9 to 10km of range. In the city, possibly ok, but on a journey in outback Queensland where charging stations are sparse, that could be the difference between making it and walking to town in 38+ deg. C. Mind you, with the current floods, a 14 foot flat-bottom "tinnie" with an outboard might be more useful than a car.
    For now, the BMS SoC on mine shows 97.5% at 100% Display SoC. I'm not keen to lose that available energy so, I may just leave the D042 update.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Right. I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but I would have expected the SoC to drop, at least a little, during the update if the car was powered on. I think your assessment is probably on the money.
    Btw, did D042 remove the 10min delays at 80 & 90%?

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  14. Is this BMS update only in Australia? It seems that way. If so, why?

15. It's global.
    The other posters are in Canada, the US and a German forum has a discussion on it as well.

16. Hmm. I'm in Canada and don't know a thing about it. Was this one of the updates executed over the past year? Are people only just getting it done now, months late?

17. This is basically now (last couple of months).
    If you were offered a new battery, you may not get D042 (the battery was D043).

Wildeyed likes this.
  18. Oh. Okay! So this update is for the "good" batteries. Ya, mine's pooched and is getting replaced at some point.

19. Not long enough for the SOC to drop during the update. Never had any delays @80% (DC or AC) also the car has never been charged over 85% since new, so I can't honestly say if there may be one @ 90%.

syntaxfx likes this.
  20. herode10

herode10 Member

I didn't get this bms update and I get regular SoC shift when I leave the car On for a period of 30 minutes or more. I do get some SoC suddenly shifting up but most of the time it goes down. When this happen, I compare the average cell voltage to the LG E63 OCV curve and with the correction, the displayed SoC re-align closer to SoC value for the corresponding open circuit voltage. I think this is a recalibration of the SoC. For the last 4 months, when I force this calibration, I always get a minus 4% SoC correction. I think that this represents my batterie degradation.

21. herode10

herode10 Member

With cold weather I have seen the BMS SoC going down to numbers like 94% at 100% SoC display. It returns to 96.5% when summer is back.

22. I finally got this update done. The dealer stated that it's meant to free up capacity that was "hidden" in an earlier software change.
    Observations:
    1) They only added 2km to the odometer.
    2) Immediately after they did it, the displayed SoC dropped from 77% to 66% but the available range stayed very close to the same as when I gave them the key. That would fit with their claim that it restores some capacity.
    3) No noticeable change in performance.
    4) GoM says the range is still in the order of 550km around town.

I haven't had a chance to do any long journeys since they did the job (we seem to have a little excess rainwater problem along most of the east coast) so I don't know if I've gained or lost range on high speed trips. I'll get back to you on that.
    I also haven't checked to see if the charge rate on AC drops to nothing at 80% and again at 90%.
    Cheers

electriceddy likes this.
  23. Canada here. I'm not aware of an equivalent software update here in Canada. Was the previous reduction in "available" battery part of the pre-recall BMS modifications? Is this new update you're speaking of post battery replacement? I like the idea of a 7% increase if it's real.

Edit. I just looked at this thread. I was just as confused last year as this! Ignore me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.