Bluetooth audio streaming issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Nov 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

I've been happily using Spotify on my iPhone to stream music in my 2019 Kona EV. It's worked reliably up until now.

Today, I tried streaming music, but nothing happened. My iPhone showed a Bluetooth connection to the car. The car's display showed a Bluetooth connection for phone and audio. The phone connection works. Spotify thought it was playing over Bluetooth to the car. Yet, despite all these positive things, there was no sound. Pressing the audio button on the car display showed just the ambient audio sounds, not a Bluetooth connection. Audio wasn't muted on the iPhone or the car.

Here's what I've tried:
    • I muted and unmuted audio on the car.
    • I muted and unmuted audio on my phone.
    • I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and turned it back on again. It successfully reconnects.
    • I disconnected the phone from the car's Bluetooth menu, and re-added it.
    • I rebooted my iPhone.
    • I rebooted the car (turned off and on again)
    • I removed the Bluetooth connection to the car on the phone and told it to forget the device. I then re-added it.
    None of these things had any effect. When not connected over Bluetooth, Spotify plays over the iPhone's built-in speakers, so it's not an app issue. The iPhone is running iOS 15.0.2.

I'm starting to think I'm doing something stupid. Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alex7xl

Alex7xl New Member

Have you tried to choose "Bluetooth music" on the screen and then play the music using iPhone?

Boodman likes this.
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

That's the weird thing - that option no longer shows up on the in-car display.

5. nigels

nigels Active Member

Well, the problem went away. After a few drive cycles, the Media button now displays the input menu rather than just taking me directly to the ambient sound display. I'm putting this down to a software glitch. It would be nice to know how to fix it, should it happen again.

6. I had that happen with phone and music. A reset usually resolves it.

7. To remove this ad click here.