BEV error messages (and solution)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DucRider, Jun 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

My wife went to take the Clarity Electric Sunday, got a block or two away and came back.

Car was showing warnings for:
    Electric Parking Brake Problem
    Transmission System Problem

The Gear indicator (P,R,D,N) was flashing and the brake system light was lit.

Got it into the dealer today:
    "Found 2 Stored Codes P26C3/U0402-68
    Found small piece of debris stuck in the reverse shift button not allowing it to fully return"

They did give me a loaner, but had it fixed in just a couple of hours. And waived the $135 fee that would normally be charged since it was not a warranty issue, but caused by an "external event".

This was at a dealer that I did not lease the car from (and does not offer the Clarity Electric, only the PHEV). They did show on the HondaLink app as servicing the BEV, and confirmed that they could when I called.

When the inevitable survey comes, I will most definitely give them high marks as I can't think of a thing they could have done better.

gadgetrants likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Gals to finally hear of a dealer that knows about the Clarity and gives good service. This is the second time we’ve heard of something getting under the reverse button. The other time was a big if I remember correctly.

I keep that area vacuumed out since you can see it’s a poor design that can accumulate enough objects to interfere with the spring loaded button.

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Yes. A bug.

I am also happy to see a praiseworthy dealer. Thanks for sharing.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

LOL There was literally a stink bug clogging the R button on another owners car that he reported here. This makes two reports now.

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

@fotomoto you can update the count to three. The story:

The other day, before plugging my phone in to the car USB, I pulled out the tiny silicone USB-C plug that I use to cover the phone port. Set the tiny piece on the elevated area next to the gear-shift (which I'll never do again). Drove. Arrived at destination. Looked for the plug -- couldn't find the plug. Strange, must have fallen on the floor or under the seat.

PXL_20210908_032117598.jpg

When we came back to the car, immediately got an error message with something about putting the emergency brake on while the car is in Park. Like @DucRider, I noted the gear indicator was also blinking. The car drove fine, but the message was still unnerving.

We stopped a bit later, and fortunately I had the ODB-II scanner so gave it a shot. What did I see? Error code P26C3.

I took a deep breath, searched for the code and a bit of the error message, and found @DucRider's post and the moment I saw the word "debris" I stuck my finger in the Reverse slot and OF COURSE the USB-C plug had fallen in. *facepalm* Fished it out, restarted the car, and error message was gone.

-Matt

fotomoto and MrFixit like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rujulm

rujulm New Member

I have searched around for a silicone dust cover (similar to those available for Apple laptops) to cover the whole button shifter but without any success. I am concerned about dropping liquid from the cup holder over the button shifter. Anyone come across any product for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

YIKES! I think the page below (p. 552) documents the error message I saw. Pretty brazen of me to just drive off when I saw it, but (a) the car otherwise behaved normally, and (b) it didn't SPECIFICALLY say "YOUR TRANSMISSION IS NOW BORKED!" If I'd seen this page (of course it's in the digital version) I wonder if I would have called a tow? Especially in hindsight, knowing that it was a $.02 plastic take-out knife that enabled me to fish out the USB-C plug that had gotten stuck in the Reverse slot. *sigh*

upload_2021-9-11_15-0-52.png

-Matt

insightman likes this.
  10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

That's very peculiar. I wanted to make a minor edit to my last post, but don't see the edit option like I usually do on all my other posts, e.g.,

upload_2021-9-11_22-56-35.png

I know I'm logged in (just posted on another thread and see the option there)...wonder where it went?

-Matt

EDIT: HAH I see the "edit" option on THIS post. Weird. @insightman did your "like" somehow block it? LOL

insightman likes this.
  11. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This forum has a rule that only allows edits for a limited amount of time (I think it is only an hour or-two).
    If there is something very important that you really need to fix, then you can send a PM to the Administrator (Domenick) and he will fix it for you.
    Some don't like this, but there are some legitimate reasons.

gadgetrants and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Member

@MrFixit thanks and my apologies for the off-topic comment. I considered the "expiration-date" rule but was sure I'd edited other posts days later. Obviously I'm thinking of another forum!

-Matt