Battery Capacity or EV range?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mazhar Rashid, Jan 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

100 % Battery Charged EV Range

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mazhar Rashid

Mazhar Rashid New Member

Hi,
    I just bought Honda PHV. Drove about 750.Miles. I Learned with 100% charged battery 37 Miles displayed on the Honda Link app. I start checking every day. Display show 37 miles with 100% charged. I am getting about 28 to 30 mile EV range. I took car to Honda of El Cerrito, According to Honda tech supervisor, This is all about m,y driving habit. Battery is good. There is no problem. My question is this. When car is still on charging station and 100% charged why display show 37 mile EV range. I try both 110V and 220v charging stations. Any advise please. 100%.jpg

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The tech is correct in that there are numerous conditions that affect EV range on a full battery such as:

Use of heater, defroster (larger hit)
    Use of air conditioning (not so large)
    Speed (speeds over 60 dramatically)
    Load (# of passengers and luggage)
    Low tire pressure (up to -5 miles)
    Driver jackrabbit starts and stops
    Lights (small effect)
    Rain and especially slush causes road friction and loss of aerodynamics.
    Ambient temperature: causes more heater or AC usage and cold temps affect the battery’s ability to store charge.
    Everyone sees their EV range go down as winter temperatures go down. It’s the dirty little secret of EVs.
    You can do some things to help the EV range such as preconditioning using the seat heater which can reduce use of the energy hogging cabin heater. Also reducing your speeds to 60 mph from 75-80 will help a lot.
    Please give us some more info on your conditions and driving style so we can help you compare to what we’re getting. Especially temperature, speeds, and heater use.
    If you are concerned that your battery is not holding a full charge, you can have your dealer run a Battery Capacity Signal Which is the only way to know the health of the 17kW battery. At the low temperatures of our northern drivers, you can expect ranges to go down to the low 30s of miles.
    So don’t panic yet, just give us some more info.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    insightman and jdonalds like this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Looks like the temperature in the San Francisco area is in the low 50s. Given that, your EV range sounds about right to start with, but I would expect it will change a bit as the car learns your driving style and factors into the average those things brought up by @KentuckyKen . I agree with him to not panic, I think your car is fine. Enjoy it and report back if things change.

5. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Since we're talking to a newbie here, I thought I would point out the missing comma ... preconditioning, using the seat heater ...
    Otherwise they're liable to go nuts trying to figure out how to turn the seat heater on during preconditioning.

KentuckyKen and Ray B like this.
  6. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Mazhar Rashid

To expound some more on @KentuckyKen comment about the Battery Capacity Signal test (BCS)...

This test is required by Honda USA to be run during the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) before the car is given to the consumer. In theory, the results of the test should be noted on the PDI paperwork given to you before leaving the dealership. There have been a lot of folks report the BCS was either not performed or the dealership didn't provide the info on the paperwork

This test will show you how good a shape the traction battery (not the 12 volt) is when delivered to you. The number is expressed in Ampere hours (Ah). According to Honda...the nominal value is 55 Ah. So anything close to 55 Ah (most likely slightly less) then your traction battery is perceived to be in good shape.

It is entirely possible they ran the test and the results are in your paperwork.

If it is not included in your paperwork, I would call the dealership to see if they ran this test and if so, what is the result. Make sure you get a hard copy of this number tied to your vin etc.

If they did not run the required test, I would take it back when you have time and have the BCS test run. One way or the other, this will give you the info you need to feel confident (or not) about your car and the traction battery.

I have attached a copy of the Clarity PDI info sheet which you can use as a guide as to what is required to be done prior to delivery to the consumer. This PDF is courtesy of @KentuckyKen

Another thing often not completed is the installation of the 4 body plugs underneath the car which supposedly helps with noise abatement.

Hope this helps

Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    izudin and KentuckyKen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mazhar Rashid

Mazhar Rashid New Member

Dear Sir,
    My question is,
    When I charge the Car, Display shows only 37 miles EV range.
    I used Charge point 2nd level charger and 110 v home charger.
    What is the reason display shows only 37 mile range not 47 ore about?
    I and my brother in law bought same cars same day. Hi car display 47 mile range.
    Reply please.
    Thanks

9. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Mazhar Rashid

Link to one of the numerous threads on EV range. This one seems to address your question several ways.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/when-will-i-see-47-miles-ev.4238/

Glad to hear your battery is in good shape. Apologies for the unnecessary response.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

10. ukon

ukon Member

The range it shows is the car's guess mileage but not actual charge. The charge is shown by the white bars which is same same when fully charged between your cars. Similarly, on the fuel gauge white bars show the fuel tank status.

As for why the car thinks you will get worse mileage it is answered above.

insightman likes this.
  11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I see you also have only 136 miles of HV range. that would be only around 20 mpg when running in hybrid mode. Either you have an extremely heavy right foot while driving, or your car has a long way to go to learn your driving style. Most of us are getting over 300 miles estimated range in HV mode. The graphic you posted was the end of last month. Do you have an updated display you could post?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ukon

ukon Member

Sandroad,
    More probably, I think there are 3-4 gallons in his tank; as such it expects 136 miles. He did not mention a full tank. Only full charge.

Sandroad and MNSteve like this.