Background noise using handsfree Android phone

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JimW, Mar 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JimW

JimW Active Member

This problem has gone from once in a while to constant. When using handsfree to talk on phone, the other party hears noisy background noise. They all describe it as electronic or computer sounding noise, and distractingly loud. From my side in the car, I hear them crystal clear - no background noise at all.

The car did this a few times when new, but rebooting the system always fixed it. Rebooting no longer fixes it.

Car is 2018 Touring. Phone is Samsung Galaxy S10+. While talking directly on the phone (not using car handsfree) there is no background noise in the same situations. Behaves the same whether plugged in to USB or not.

I plan to notify dealer at next oil change, but I think this is the type of problem dealers struggle with. Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Interference in the Bluetooth connection would be my guess. Do you have anything else on Bluetooth in the car, or are you sitting in the middle of a mall parking lot with a bunch of 802.11 signals?

4. JimW

JimW Active Member

Yesterday I was barreling down uncrowded interstate in western NC. I made 4 calls to different people, all reported same issue. I rebooted several times. I have a MacBook in the trunk with the lid closed, so don't think it would have active Bluetooth. I'll completely power it down and test.

5. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

In our car we have a similar o same issue regarding a really loud and annoying noise that the other person hear and we found to be related to the HVAC fan. A lot of times I have to ask my wife to set the fan at the minimum speed or turn it off because if not is barely impossible to hear her. The sound have a pattern (sound, small silence, sound, small silence) and the best way to describe the noise it is like you try to continuously reproduce the sound of the letter C.

6. Someone in a thread somewhere mentioned the noise canceling causing this. A quote from an article"

"They also employ active road noise cancellation using an in-cabin speaker"

I believe it's behind the glove box (or that general area) and requires removing two dash panels to reach it. I advise searching this forum.

A bunch of links for disabling it in Hondas, but I did not find the Clarity listed.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02U-PYB6FX06EcHx58T_BaRmEz1dg%3A1583387544709&ei=mJNgXrT6KsPh-gTUxoiADA&q=how+to+disable+the+anc+%28+active+noise+cancelling%29+mics+in+the+honda+clarity+anc+located&oq=how+to+disable+the+anc+%28+active+noise+cancelling%29+mics+in+the+honda+clarity+anc+located&gs_l=psy-ab.12...24515.47924..48890...0.2..0.232.1116.0j7j1......9....2j1..gws-wiz.......0i71.RJIVKVC7M24&ved=0ahUKEwi0ppOh0oLoAhXDsJ4KHVQjAsAQ4dUDCAo

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.