Auto-unlocking of doors and the "mystery" of passenger door locking

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Nov 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Backdrop: It didn't occur to me that more settings than just say seat position (we have touring model) could be FOB specific. It would appear that the door lock/unlock preferences are also FOB specific, or that at least some of them are.

Scenario: I have a narrow garage, and its just my wife and I. We car-pool. The passenger waits for the driver to backup due to garage space issue. When I drive, 100% of the time, the car unlocks all doors (setting set), and when I backup my wife hops in passenger side and we drive to work. We do have walk-away auto lock set which in our case works 99% of the time. (I realize all of these preferences vary a lot by situation, and I am not saying anyone else should use the settings I choose.)

Now when my wife drives, she backs out of the narrow garage, and my passenger side door is always locked. She manually hits the unlock button and I get in.

The reason I thought this was a "mystery" is because I didn't know settings under vehicle are not all universal, they're per-driver, which is actually nice. i.e. if you worry about safety and maybe getting car-jacked, you want the car to maybe only unlock driver door, and auto-lock when not in "Park."

For testing sake I changed the vehicle settings using only her FOB and yep, I can get the same settings I use. After a chat with her, she feels safer with always doing a manual unlock which is fine with me of course. I just wanted to understand how it works. I still don't know precisely which settings are FOB specific, but it would appear that door/window settings or at least some of them are. FWIW.

-Dan

PS: What I think was actually happening is her setting to lock door when not in PARK, meant that when she backed up 10 feet out of the garage, my door was auto-locked, or she didn't have the setting to unlock all doors (either or both).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks. Good to know.

We’ve only set the driver seat position, so everything else is the default setting. Default seems to harken back to the era of using a key fob and key where one press of the unlock button unlocked the driver door and a second press unlocks the other doors. That suits our preferences.

When out amongst the the thieves and vandals, we lock the doors manually, by pressing the button on the door handle. This is done discreetly so as to avoid the scrutiny of the tech savvy. In the garage, we leave the cars unlocked. The convenience of having unfettered access far outweighs the risk of criminal activity.

Those are our choices.