Atlis Motor Vehicles Pickup

Discussion in 'Other EVs' started by Cypress, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck/
    ==================
    KEY FEATURES
    • Standard Range: 300 miles
      • Optional: 500 miles
    • Charge time: 15 minutes
    • 4 doors
      • 2 door models available post launch
    • Standard 6.5 foot bed
      • 8 foot bed lengths optional
    • True 4 wheel drive with independent traction motors at each corner.
    • Rear Steering
    • Single speed direct drive gear box
    • Independent air spring suspension front and rear
    • 12 inches of ground clearance
      • 15 inches in the 75TOR
    • Massive front storage space
    • 360 degrees of camera view with cockpit digital mirror displays
    • Autonomous and driver assistance capable
    • Regenerative electronic braking with independent wheel control.
    ====================
    They claim to be taking reservations and a 2020 date.

Starting at $45k or a $700/mo subscription plan.

Sounds like extra super vaporware. But who knows?

[​IMG]

2. Jwbj

Jwbj New Member

Wonder what top speed is? Rear wheel steer would be scary at speed.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Looks like Atlis Motor Vehicles is a startup.

Well, I wish them good luck, just like I wish all EV startups good luck! (...with the exception of obvious sham companies like Faraday Future.)

4. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

5. Cityfreighter

Cityfreighter New Member

Well, Faraday Future is still helping to move the EV technology further. At least, give them some credits....

QuickFix813 likes this.
  6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Sorry, but you've confused making stupendously absurd, wildly over-the-top claims for mass producing compelling EVs, with actually making them.

If you want a real-world example of a company that "checks all the boxes" of an investment scam, I doubt you can do better than Faraday Future.

7. Cityfreighter

Cityfreighter New Member

Sorry, I didn‘t wanted to show them up as heros, just wanted to point out that every company who develops ev‘s this days helps to move the technology further. Faraday wasn‘t a good shot, sorry

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

CityFreighter, perhaps I should have found a more polite way to disagree with what you said. I don't think you had any need to apologize. You're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else, including me.

For the record, just because a lot of us think FF looks like a scam, that's not actually proof that it is. Who knows? We could be wrong.

BTW -- Welcome to the forum!
    :)

9. gooki

gooki Member

Frunks are going to be a big win for pickup trucks. No need to consume deck space to securely store you tools.

Domenick and QuickFix813 like this.
  10. QuickFix813

QuickFix813 New Member

I wonder what size kWh battery it will have. 300 mile range with charging time of 15 min seems VERY ambitious! Also what kind of drag coefficient could a truck have that would allow it 300m range? (I'm assuming it's not any larger pack than industry size because then it would take way more than 15 min on a "fast charger" to get 100%)

2020 seems really early to have these kinds of features fully developed! But wishing them the best!

Edit: After reading further I saw this truck has 4 independent drive motors! Holy weight, Batman! And has capacity to trailer 20,000lbs?! What kind of sorcery is this battery pack?

11. gooki

gooki Member

Well they just tested their 3kw battery.

3kw should be plenty to travel 300 meters.

12. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

Oh, I like this point. Perhaps it could be set up for tools and random gear so people don't use up their bed space with a big ol' toolbox.
    [​IMG]

Battery-wise, I'm thinking 130 kWh, but that's just a rough guess.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

Yeah, this is not a good sign. Looks very much like a desperate PR stunt. Startups which have solid products to sell and decent funding don't need to pull desperate stunts like this.

See the InsideEVs news article: "Atlis Pickup Truck Battery Charges In Under 13 Minutes"

Reminds me of the stunt that German battery maker DBM pulled to advertise their "Kolibri" battery, several years back. The claims associated with that -- breakthrough energy density, half the cost of then-current li-ion batteries -- turned out to be utterly false. Complete, total 100% B.S.

Of course that doesn't at all prove that Atlis Motor's claims here are equally B.S. But the history of claims for breakthru secondary (rechargeable) battery tech from startups is almost universally that of shoveling out B.S., and that's been true for well over a century now.

"The storage battery is, in my opinion, a catchpenny, a sensation, a mechanism for swindling the public by stock companies. The storage battery is one of those peculiar things which appeals to the imagination, and no more perfect thing could be desired by stock swindlers than that very selfsame thing. ... Just as soon as a man gets working on the secondary battery it brings out his latent capacity for lying." -- Thomas Edison, 1883
    In fact, the actual claims by Atlis here may well be entirely true. What is most likely false is not what their PR actually claims they have accomplished, but rather what it implies. Sure, you can charge a very small battery pack rapidly, in perhaps 13 minutes, if you're careful not to overheat the cells too much. (Electric bicycles have battery packs up to 1 kWh, so this is no bigger than 3x that.)

But how many times can you do that before the batteries seriously degrade? If Atlis did that just as a stunt, with complete disregard for battery life, then it's meaningless in terms of building practical EVs. An EV with a battery pack that rapidly loses much or most of its capacity after just a few dozen super-fast charges... isn't a practical EV.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 3:27 AM
  14. gooki

gooki Member

Nor is there any mention of how the will scale the charging to a full size pack.