Are oil changes needed when not driving much?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tim, Dec 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tim

tim Member

I haven't been driving much during these coronavirus times. So, I'm wondering if I can put off doing the service that is indicated on my dashboard. I'm guessing that the service alerts are based on calendar time and not mileage or oil quality. On my Odyssey, there is an oil life indicator, which triggers a service alert when it hits 15%. There's no such indicator on the Clarity, so I assume that service alert is not based on oil quality.

And if I put off doing the indicated service, does that affect my warranty?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is your Clarity still under warranty? Check out this thread and decide what you want to tell Honda if you have engine problems.

4. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Technically there are things that can happen to the oil even if the engine doesn’t run much. Oxidation and moisture can have an effect on the oil that can eventually cause it to degrade. I don’t know if the degradation would be significant after a year but the general consensus seems to be that you should change it at least once a year even if the engine hasn’t run.

insightman likes this.
  5. Yes, you can put if off quite easily. Just don’t change the oil when recommended.

Yes, it can, may, will affect the warranty. For example, failure to follow the recommended oil change maintenance interval could result in denial of an engine related failure from being covered under warranty.

6. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

As mentioned, anything with an oil pan should be changed once a year, even if left idle in the garage.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.