All Season Tires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SandyUT, Apr 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

We have the 17” wheels for non-winter and 16” with studded snows.

The factory tires on the 17” wheels were pure sport tires and wore off like butter.

Looking at Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and Continental DWS06. A few others pop up as pretty good, some Toyo’s are much cheaper but…we live on a very curvy mountain road and the hwy to the city is a curvy hwy.

Any recommendations for an all season tire that may have good tread wear? Not concerned about snow traction as we have the studded snows for that.

Many Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

EV-specific tires like the Nokians @Rexsio suggested are probably going to be your best bet for tire wear. Not sure who else has such tires, especially in the size for MINI.

4. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

we have the Nokian studded snows on the 16” wheels, but they dont make any in the 17” wheel size according to their website.

5. Louis W

Louis W Member

I have CrossClimate 2s. The factory size is not sold in the US, but 215/45-17 has fit fine with no rubbing.

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I think the suggested Michelin and Nokian "all-weather" tires would be good choices if the OP intended to use them year-round, but as they've already said they use dedicated (studded) winter tires on 16" rims, they'd likely be better off with a real all-season tire. If the revolutions per mile aren't terribly different going with 215/45-17 Michelin PS All Season 4s, I don't think there's a better choice. Michelins – in my experience – wear a lot longer that other brands.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jkoya

Jkoya Member

Removed the OEM Summer only Hankooks and installed Continental DWS06 + in factory 17" sizes. Road feel and handling of the all season DWS06+ tires are superior than the OEM summer only Hankooks. Was expecting about a 5% decrease in range, but have not noticed any changes in range since the swap.

I was originally planning on getting the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, but the installer recommended the DWS06+ instead.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. I got 17" Conti DWS06+, great grip dry and wet, low noise, very good road feel, but I did experience around 10% loss of range (mi/kWh) compared to the OE Hankook Summer tires, in comparable temperatures.

Original tread depth 10/12, now about 7-8/32 after 9k miles. Michelin, yes probably lasts longer.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This YouTube video compares Tire Rack's test results for the DWS06 Plus and the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires and the DWS06 Plus comes out ahead. Your installer knows his stuff.

I'm not a fan of all-season tires; I have Michelin winter tires, hoping they'll stop me that critical few inches shorter and prevent spins when I push hard in the snow. Never having driven on summer performance tires before I got my SE, I was blown away by the grip and handlng provided by the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 tires.

More surprising is that the Hankook summer performance tires can also deliver great range (as do the other two non-runflat summer performance tires MINI puts on the SE: Goodyear F1 and Pirelli Cintaurato P7). so I've stuck with them when it came time for replacements. Certainly, that time came sooner than it would for either of these all-season tires, but the Hankooks' combination of range and grip can't be beat IMO.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've been disappointed with Hankooks that came with several of my previous Minis. I expected them to last longer. I'm similarly disappointed with the Goodyears that came with my '22 SE. I'm already starting to look for a suitable replacement.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    IMHO the Eagles are performing better than expected, and wearing exactly as expected – which is "quickly."

insightman likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just think how often and how much you'd be spending on tires if you bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari and actually drove it. I'm glad the replacement Hankooks are so much cheaper than supercar tires.

I really believe I have more fun driving my SE than I would my boyhood dream of a Ferrari. Compared to a Ferrari the MINI offers low visibility to law-enforcement, low insurance costs, lowlow maintenance costs, low repair costs, and less paranoia driving and parking in town. I love roundabouts in my SE and I wouldn't love going 180 mph in a Ferrari anywhere but on a track (as if). I'm willing to pay the cost for the tires that enable my roundabout thrills. I know there are stickier tires, but I never reach breakaway with my Hankooks, so additional sticky would make no difference.

revorg, MichaelC, Puppethead and 2 others like this.
  15. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I put a set of Continental PureContact LS on a second set of MINI wheels for the first Winter and actually never took them off last year. I do plan to swap the Summer tires back on soon but we are still in the 30s some morning when my wife drives to work.

Anyway, they have been fine. Work well in the mild NW Winters with rain, a tiny bit of snow and sub-40 degrees much of Winter. I found about a 10% loss in range with them in the Winter vs the factory Summer tires in warm weather (3.6 vs 4.0). They are wearing fine, though the fronts are wearing faster than rear (as expected).

Here's one of my posts in the longer Tires thread: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/tires-summer-winter-all-season.9496/page-44#post-199879

Rob