Aftermarket Stereo head units (Radios)?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by squishycans, Dec 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. squishycans

squishycans New Member

Do these things exist for the Clarity?

Reason I ask is
    1. The built-in navigation doesn't show searches on a map like Google Maps does. So I sometimes have to search with my phone.
    2. Using Android Auto is kind of annoying in that it expects to connect by cable whenever I get in the car. Then if I want to just play bluetooth without connecting AndroidAuto, I have to close the app on my phone and select bluetooth in the source menu. It's also a bit laggy at times, but I do have a crap phone (I guess) as far as cell phones go (Phoenix 4).
    3. The head unit is too slow for rooting and running Google Maps or even web browsers and I kind of feel like Honda dropped the ball here.
    4. I'd like Android so I could use my Android apps on the screen, including a folder-listing music app or Superbeam for transferring files wirelessly or USB storage or the ability to play movies or using my Audible app or getting home security alerts from my doorbell/cameras, etc. And I'd like to share the phone's Data connection with the Radio over bluetooth.

I'm guessing no from searching the internet. But I thought I'd ask here to make sure. I figure if people make Tesla style plug-and-play radio upgrades for various newer cars, maybe someone makes something for this one.

maybe...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. squishycans

squishycans New Member

Well I guess that is a solution. I could always buy a better phone along with it. I think the radio does need to be rooted in order to do that though; which does carry risk of bricking the head unit.

If I end up trying that, I'll come back and let people know how it goes.

4. squishycans

squishycans New Member

Heh, so I just realized there's a much better solution for this.
    This guy installed an ipad over his radio - . But he used velcro to hold it, which kind of sucks.

However, the Clarity radio sticks out a bit and could easily have some sort of brace going around it to install some kind of Tablet/Ipad with bluetooth tethering and would play sound over bluetooth.
    The brace could be 3d printed to allow a wireless charger to be placed inside it and that could go to the cigarette lighter or some other power source. I'd prefer wiring it to an empty fuse line, since that won't draw power from other power sources. Then the tablet could be removable from the brace if you need to use the regular radio for something.

I might try that. I'll have to think it over. I think that would be much better.

5. Hmmmm. I have an old Samsung tablet. I just might see what I can do with it. Thanks for posting that.

And we just bought new phones (OnePlus 7 Pro) and I am going to see if I can turn the old ones into security cams.

6. To remove this ad click here.