Access to Tesla supercharger network

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by eCork, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. eCork

eCork New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yep

4. Mach-e successfully completing a top up in Naarden:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously charge port location is going to be critical to conform due to the cable length;)

5. I can imagine there will be teething problems, including social. We have a brand new set of 250 kW units just a few kms from me. These are CCS Combo 2 plugs of course, as the traditional Tesla plug is not used here.
    upload_2021-11-2_13-1-52.png

6. I wonder if we'll see CCS on super chargers here in US.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I doubt that, those who decide to utilize the Supercharging system will probably require a purchase of an expensive adaptor (Tesla to CCS) as part of the package:rolleyes:

9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think it will depend on how much money the federal and state governments are willing to give them.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. While they are at it, why not install Tesla type connectors on non Tesla DC chargers, (ie EA, EC, EVGO, Blink, Chargepoint etc). Make it easier and less hardware to carry for all EV drivers...period;)

11. Why? Did you consider 'nose in' instead of backing in? :D

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. This is the way cars are supposed to charge @ Tesla superchargers:

[​IMG]
    This is what will happen (including Kona EV nose in):
    [​IMG]

Note the charge port on Kona EV front left, to charge from 1B, one will be blocking 1B while parked in 2A, in effect blocking 1B spot while at the same time rendering 2A supply useless for an other Tesla EV.
    According to the images, shared by Michael Hsu, only a few brands produce EVs with the charging port location the same as Tesla:

• FCA's (currently Stellantis): Peugeot, Citroën, Opel, DS
    • Polestar
    • Volvo
    • outgoing Hyundai IONIQ Electric
    When parking forwards, other compatible cars could include:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    mho, ericy, Lars and 1 other person like this.
  14. Note a hand sized adaptor will only work with the listed few brands of EV as described in the above diagrams. To accommodate all EVs, an adaptor with a corded extension tail (maybe around 6') will be required to conform.($$$)
    Of course the alternate is for Tesla to install longer CCS type cords on their machines, but that obviously is "not going to happen".

mho likes this.
  15. To be tried for sure but from the pictures it seems to me that the cable will reach the charge port of a Kona EV if you can 'nose in' to the charger. The car may hang out a bit but it is a short car compared to say a Model S or X.

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Theoretically one could have an 'extension' of sorts, which would let you park properly in the spots, but still get a charge. But an extension wouldn't have any cable cooling capability, so the charge rates would need to be limited.

It really remains to be seen what Tesla plans to offer in the U.S. market. Until then, I am not going to lost much sleep worrying about it.

Drive-thru types of superchargers would to an extent be in a better position to handle other cars - the only problem is that if the site gets busy the queuing would be weird in that some people would want to pull in from one direction, and some from the other.

17. At the Meijer near me there's a regular space next to 3C. I haven't had a reason to look to see if this is common for there to be a standard space on this side. Dedicate only this space for non-Tesla? On top of it I'd only use it when long distance traveling anyway. Tesla should only open up superchargers a certain distance out of major cities. I think that would be a fair starting point.

18. marshall

EVgo has already done that at some of their locations.

https://www.evgo.com/tesla/

Locally,

https://www.evgo.com/tesla-seattle

19. Mmmm, maybe Elon is fleecing everyone into making their chargers Tesla compliant but will back out in allowing non-Tesla.

20. marshall

I doubt it.

EVgo sees the vast number of Teslas. Getting some of that money makes sense, plus, some of these EVgo chargers are being paid for by the state's transportation department, which may have a some requirements that mandate the ability for all EVs to charge at that these locations.

Again, once the governments start handing out money to Tesla, Tesla will make the necessary adjustments to their chargers. Frankly, it just makes sense for the federal government to pay Tesla money to convert a certain amount of their chargers, especially the locations along the grass lands.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  21. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

That's a hyberbolic way of putting it. It those two right-hand cars charge next to each others, they block only one extra stall. If the left-side charging cars start filling in the supercharger from 1A and right-side cars from 3C, there would be only one slot wasted in total. In fact 0 wasted slots, if a parking space is made on the other side of 3C too. That said, it would require etiquette and good behavior from everyone, which is short these days. After all, selfishness is considered almost an virtue, while "showing good example" has been rebranded by toxic online people as "virtue signalling"...

OzKona likes this.
  22. What I was implying is that like the EU all EV need to adopt the same standard. Pick a date and all made after such date must be CCS. Tesla there already do so not difficult to adapt here. This is what I mean about the fleecing.

I'd prefer Tesla to write the software for everybody to use with CCS here!

23. marshall

Are you suggesting the government confiscate their property for your usage?

Why CCS? Why not make the Tesla connector or the Chinese connector the standard?