60,000 mile maintenance

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Valente, Nov 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Valente

Valente Active Member

Does anyone know what maintenance needs to be performed at 60,000 mi? I have 60,000 mi on my car. I took my Clarity in for an oil change and the dealer said I needed full maintenance at 60,000 mi at cost of $450! They said at 60,000 mi they need to replace brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, replace engine air filter ( I do that myself) replace cabin air filter (I do that myself) check hoses, brakes, etc and a bunch of other "check this and that stuff..." Money is tight right now and $450 seems a lot for "check this and that..." I can't find anything in the Honda manuals that says what maintenance is due at 60,000 mi.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That sounds about right for a 60,000 mile inspection for any car. The Clarity being more complex than most, that amount does not sound unreasonable. The question is if you do the work yourself or bring it to an independent mechanic, does that invalidate your warranty?

4. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I am at 87K miles. Mine came up with the transmission oil change, along with the usual stuff: When I changed the oil, and rotated the tires, the transmission oil change went to due in two months. (Two months is almost 10K miles for me.) I think transmission oil has come up on two separate oil change intervals for me.

I believe the brake fluid change is on a time interval, and it comes due at three years. This has not come due for me yet.

I have not changed the transmission fluid or brake fluid yet, and my maintenance reminder is up-to-date.

The maintenance system bundles services to reduce the trips to the dealer: This seems to increase the frequency of some things. I would suggest doing the easy items, reset the reminders for those, and see if it will allow you to postpone the expensive stuff.

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. The footnotes in the Maintenance Minder section on the owners manual, recommends replacing brake fluid after 3 years, transmission fluid as early as 47,500 miles or 3 years, otherwise when Code 3 is displayed, change coolant when Code 5 is displayed. Depending on driving conditions, dust and pollen filter as well as air cleaner element may need to be replaced at 15,000 mile intervals.

If it were my car, I’d be comfortable ignoring the coolant change recommendation, it can be easily tested. I’d consider ignoring the transmission recommendation if the car is less than 3 years old and you don’t have a Code 3. I would pony up for the brake fluid if you are near the 3 year mark. I’d order the air filters and do those myself. They’re going to “check” all the other stuff anyway and it typically isn’t something that can be negotiated off the price. Then ask if they’re offering a 10 or 20 percent discount off the service.

insightman likes this.