2019 Kona Buy Back from my local dealer

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Dec 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I'm here in Victoria BC Canada. I received an email from my local dealer. They want to buy my car back They quoted $41,000.00 to $43000.00. Has anyone in BC got an email like this .
    I'm sure the scam is they will low ball that price down quite a bit after they appraised the car.

My thought was to get a new Ionic 5 if they give me the $43,000.00. I don't know if they will take that price in on a trade that would be the deal breaker if this is all true.

Of course I don't want to give up my car now because I have no other form on transport. I will phone them tomorrow and find out what the deal is, Any thoughts from my fellow Kona Owners. I really don't want to sell but I may have a chance to get a new car for around $11,000.00 I think. Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yup, got many of them, and I don't even own my Kona anymore. I sold it earlier this year for $47K, which is more than the dealers were offering.

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Yes I remember that This is my first one. Did they low ball you from the quote you got in the original email. What do you have now?

5. Yes, back when I still had the car they were low balling me. But after I sold it, several months later, was getting these offer emails with a range similar to yours. These were both from my original dealer that I bought the car from, and where I got it serviced locally. So they still have me in their database. I never bothered replying to them. But I do find it humorous.

I have two other EVs on pre-order, but still waiting. So now we just have one car between the wife and I, not the best arrangement, esp since I was the one who talked her into selling the Kona. But at the time, never thought it would take this long to get a new one. In hindsight, it was a big mistake selling it that early.

The Kona was a great driving car. We both really liked it, and miss it a lot.

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Yes thats my problem selling it with no car to drive I can't do that

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

What are you going to get next.

9. Have a pre-order in for an Ioniq 5 (multiple ones actually) and also a Solterra. They were done back in Feb. No ETA on the Ioniq 5, but I am #8 on the Solterra list, so hoping to get one early next year.

The Solterra will be my off-road car to get to our cabin. And the Ioniq 5 will be our trip car with the fast charging. Currently sharing a Crosstrek with my wife. It is a pretty good car, too, and great for both the cabin and tripping. But want to go to all BEVs, so eventually will be parting with it, too.

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Now if you can believe this I was told from my dealer he has 400 people on a waiting list for an Ionig 5 and the wait will be 2 1/2 years that awful.

11. Yup, that is typical here. Same with the Solterra if the dealer will even accept another pre-order. I will be lucky to get an Ioniq 5 by 2024. But if I get my Solterra soon, I can wait. As long as we have 2 cars, and at least 1 is electric, I will be happy.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I'ts crazy I don't want to give up my Kona but I thought I could get a new Iong5 I i know the dealers hate it.

14. Keep your Kona, until you know for sure when your new car will be delivered. I made a big mistake with selling mine too early. And really, nothing wrong with the Kona.

In my case, I just wanted something newer, bigger and with faster charging. Now I have nothing. With the Solterra, I will get bigger, but not faster charging, and less range than the Kona. But it will get me to our cabin, which the Kona could not. And I can charge it there with our off-grid solar system.

15. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

No I'm keeping it for sure. The best car I ever had no problems plus new battery plus $1100.00

16. I am in BC too, but I haven't received any buyback offers. However I did request Hyundai and the dealers not contact me with anything but recall notices. I wouldn't sell Knoa yet. I am waiting until the battery warranty runs out at 160km or until there are EVs on offer with significantly better range at a Kona price.