2018 vs 2019 Honda Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by russwaehler, Sep 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. russwaehler

russwaehler New Member

Hello, questions for the owners. I saw the 2018 had some complaints about lack of acceleration when driving uphill, etc. and going from electric to gas. It looks like Honda may have fixed this for 2019, but I noticed there are hardly any 2019 models for sale on the used market.

see link below, my question is is it worth holding off till more 2019s come to market or is this a problem that effects a very small number of the 2018 vehicles?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Clarity_Plug-In_Hybrid/2018/engine/high_revs_and_loss_of_power.shtml

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

There are no substantial differences between the 2018 and 2019 Clarity PHEV's. The reports that you reference are not fundamental to the vehicle, but rather, how it is operated. The vehicle switches to a hybrid (HV) mode when the EV range runs out, and it operates like a standard hybrid at that point. However, it is possible to deplete the traction battery even further (for instance if you encounter a long sustained upgrade while in this depleted state).

Fundamentally, this condition only occurs under rare circumstances and it can be avoided entirely if you are mindful about retaining some charge on the traction battery if you are on a long trip with no opportunity to recharge, and may encounter significant elevation changes.

Keep in mind also, that there will always be fewer 2019's than 2018's. These were the production numbers for the Clarity:
    2018 - 20,174
    2019 - 11,654
    2020 - 4,215

The Clarity was discontnued completely in 2021.

4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've had no acceleration issues with my 2018, but then I do know to not let the battery run down, especially if I will be headed into a hilly area.

5. russwaehler

russwaehler New Member

thank you - what an awesome answer and exactly the info I was seeking! I appreciate it!!!

6. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

I have a 2020 touring you can buy.

Almost 10k miles. Are you interested? PM me :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. russwaehler

russwaehler New Member

No thank you, but I appreciate it!

9. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I have a 2018 I purchased Dec 2017. I made a couple of trips from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas (about 400 miles each way) in Hybrid mode and no charging on the trips. The speed limit for most of the trip through Utah is 80 mph with several long hill climbs. I never have had a problem with the car not being able to maintain 80.

insightman likes this.