Zero to 60 mph (or 0 to 100 km/h) on sticky tires?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do a 0 to 60 mph or 0 to 100 kmh run on slicks or drag radials on a Drag Strip. I wonder what kind of times the Kona could get if the tires would not spin. I also wonder if the front suspension parts would hold up if the car would hook up with no tire spin..
    I saw videos of 1/4 mile runs were the Kona Electric ran 14.80's but I doubt that the driver was running race tires..
    I personally think that the Kona could get sub 6 second 0 to 60 times with grip and 14.50 in the 1/4 mile..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Bugblndr likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

KONA will be noticeably quicker wearing ANY tires other than the Nexens it comes with, owing to noticeably less spinning of the drive wheels on acceleration. As you know, Hyundai will void the warranty if the car is involved in competitive driving events. My experience is that the front suspension is unaffected by no-spin acceleration.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

Most car makers have that rule. However, if you don't compete in an event but go to a Saturday Test&Tune Drag Strip visit, you are testing the car and not competing in an event. Of course, if you enter a heads up or bracket racing event, you are competing and voiding the warranty.. I'm not sure about Hyundai but I once was at a Chevrolet event where one of the executives spoke about that and their position was that you can't compete in an event but you CAN test your car's abilities.. I have no intention of racing my Kona at the track but I'm curious what it would be capable of.. I would bet it could go sub 6 seconds from 0 to 60..

5. Probably, but I doubt if you would get 358.8 miles range doing it ;)

6. FloridaSun

Screenshot_20190808-211931_YouTube.jpg
    Now that's a certainty.. I used to be a NHRA licensed Drag Racer and had a 68 Corvette running in the 8's in the 1/4 mile... about 14 years ago.. 1.30's 60' times which is about 1.35 seconds from 0 to 60 mph on 28 x 10.5W x 15 slicks with the wheels off the ground..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    BC-Doc, electriceddy and Bugblndr like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Seems like you might be the best-qualified Kona owner to conduct this experiment. :) Maybe you could borrow some rubber for the test?

Also, if you decide to experiment, please record on video. :D

Brennan Raposo and Bugblndr like this.
  9. FloridaSun

I need to make sure that I'm not voiding my warranty if I'll do that..

Domenick likes this.
  10. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Borrow some good rubber and you'll be surprised.

11. FloridaSun

The tires also need to me mounted on wider rims.
    8 inch wide wheels with 245's would make some difference..

Kitsilano likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.