Z-Nav Compass Display

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Hahn, Feb 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hahn

Hahn New Member

I have the 2020 Kona EV Ultimate. I think I should have the compass display in my mirror. The mirror is exactly like the mirror (with display) on my 2019 Sonata Limited PHEV except in the dead center of the bottom row of buttons is an on/off button on the Sonata. The Kona manual makes reference to a button that you need to press with a ball point pen along the bottom edge which I have located and pushed. It does nothing. Does it take an undo amount of pressure to press? The display has never been on, hasn't been calibrated because that necessitates pressing and holding the button for 6 seconds to get the zone number to show up. Anyone have a suggestion?

InspiredSquare likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think I used a paper clip end when I reset mine. The "C" definitely appeared and after driving the circles it reset .

mho likes this.
  4. Hahn

Hahn New Member

How hard do you need to press on it? I first tried with a paper clip then with a tip of a ball point pen as the manual suggested. The button never moved. The Sonata is so simple, it's an on off button, no paper clips or ball point pens. Click on, click off, press and hold to get into the zone menu. Why make it so difficult?

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

On the 2019 model, the compass is always on and the pinhole is only for calibration. I expect yours is not working or nonexistent.

6. Hahn

Hahn New Member

If for sure is not working :) Being that it is the same mirror as the Sonata with the button in a different location and the button is in the location that the manual specifies I'd say it exists. Reading through the manual again, it says "The Compass can be turned ON and OFF, but it returns to ON after the ignition is cycled.." I'd say it should be on when the car is started. Being that it isn't would indicate that it may be time to introduce the new car from CA to the local dealer in AZ.

InspiredSquare and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Apologies, I see the pinhole can also be used to turn off the compass. You must have a defective unit.

9. Hahn

Hahn New Member

Here's an update on this. Takes forever to get explanations from Hyundai. Local dealer doesn't have a Kona EV much less a Kona Ultimate EV to compare mirrors with because the car is not available here in AZ. They referred me to Hyundai USA Consumer affairs. A week later I start playing phone tag with a guy at Hyundai. Can't leave them voice mail because mail box is full??? Finally connect, well he doesn't know if the Kona Ultimate is suppose to the the Z-Nav Compass he'll have to do some research. A week later, yes indeed the Kona Ultimate EV is suppose to have the Z-Nav Compass, he will get with my local dealer. At this point the local dealer came up with a great test to see if the mirror had the Z-Nav interface. He had one on his desk, he said look at an angle and see if you can see the aperture for the Z-Nav. I added a flashlight to the test and looked on my Sonata PHEV and low and behold there it was. Kona, big void where the aperture is suppose to be. They put the wrong freaking mirror on the car. I thought it just wasn't working. Now the local dealer is "reaching out" to Hyundai to see what the next step is. I don't expect to hear anything for at least a week.

InspiredSquare likes this.
  10. Good catch, I would think a new mirror is in your future

11. Hahn

Hahn New Member

I am no longer wandering around lost in the desert. I now have a Z-Nav Compass in my mirror. :) I may have a unique Kona Ultimate, they put in a Genesis mirror. I thought it might be a little bigger but it is probably the same size and the same mirror in a different box. Anyway case closed. Many thanks to my local dealer who is supporting a car they didn't sell because it is not available in Arizona.

BC-Doc and InspiredSquare like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Glad to followed up with the forum on this. It appears I have the same situation going on with my 2021 Kona EV Limited. I am going to start my process by following your lead: check with Hyundai Consumer Affairs (USA) and take it from there.
    If there is any additional advice (besides have no expected timeline/lots of patience) definitely let me know.