Why the i3 is so cheap when bought used

Discussion in 'i3' started by sipabit, May 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sipabit

sipabit Member

Usually if something is too good to be true, it usually is. You're right to be concerned or worried about why the i3 is so cheap when purchased used. There are definitely legitimate reasons. To better understand why and get some clarity on why the deals are as they are, here are some thoughts to help calm your nerves and let you know the deals really are legit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Generally, for German imports, their value drops rapidly as they approach the end of the car's warranty. Repairs on German cars are usually very expensive. If the AC goes out on an I3 and it's not a simple fix, you'll have to pay $$$ to get it fixed. It's not that German cars are bad quality.. They are actually excellent quality and the chance of something breaking is small but IF something breaks, it's usually expensive.. That's why you can find insane deals on used BMW's, Audis and Mercedes Benz. We paid $16999 for our 2017 i3 with 21k miles and NO ACCIDENTS in May 2020..

Agzand likes this.
  4. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

The other reason is BMW pushing low cost subsidized leases, resulting in lower demand for a used car. They also reduced their additional CPO coverage from 2 years to 1 year (I think it was a mistake on their part) resulting in a big hit to CPO market. Previously you could buy a 3 year lease return CPO with another 3 years of warranty. Now basically you have only 2 year left which is not enough for most buyers.

FloridaSun likes this.