Why I'm regretting purchasing a Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by weave, Sep 27, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. weave

weave Active Member

I'm regretting purchasing my Clarity already So don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm unhappy with the Clarity. In fact, I'm over the moon happy with it. But now I find more and more that I just want a BEV.

I got the Clarity due to range anxiety. Once a week I need to do a 200 mile drive one-way and then at the end of the week, return. I just didn't see any other options besides waiting ages for a Tesla 3 -- which at the time there was news about it having quality control issues. Also I had to get something this year because I had a pretty wicked taxable event situation this year and that $7500 credit is going to help a lot more this year than future years. And I was worried it would go away next year.

But during those 200 mile drives with my Clarity, I've been stopping at a public charging station about half way (for free no less) and just getting lunch while my car tops off. I don't NEED to do it, but I want those extra EV miles. Charging is not THAT big of a deal. It's a routine you can get used to pretty quick.

So basically even with a car with less than 200 mile range, I wouldn't have a problem just scheduling a meal break on my trip -- and not be unhappy with it.

So yes, the Clarity is a gateway drug for sure. Trading it in isn't really an option since EVs depreciate so rapidly at the start, so I'm considering trading in a 2008 Honda Fit the wife and I still have for a Honda Fit EV when they come out next or hoping a decent van comes out that's electric so I can swap out our Transit Connect. I'm also looking at trading in my motorcycle for a Zero.

What have I gotten myself in to! :)

By the way, here's a pic of that public charging station. It's really neat. In Charles Town, WV at American Public University. A bunch of solar panels with about 20 charging stations under it (many are often ICEd but I never have a problem finding a spot). Here's a Google Street View of it too -- https://goo.gl/maps/BjNUgxTCR9G2 )

IMG_2207.jpg

WindsorBoy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

A BEV might be good for current conditions but what if things change...

4. David A

David A Guest

I hear you. I have always considered the Clarity PHEV a transitional vehicle at least for me. I figure within 5 years the BEV range and battery tech will be much more advanced.

I do love the Clarity and have no regrets whatsoever. I am also learning quite a bit about the whole process (battery maintenance and longevity, drivetrains etc) by not only reading many forums...but ownership as well.

WindsorBoy and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. Heino

Heino Active Member

Agree... I wanted a Model 3 so bad. Almost pulled the trigger, but then told myself it’s crazy to spend $51,000 on a car.

I gave Tesla a free $3,500 - since I pulled out of the purchase at the very last minute, and bought the Clarity instead.

Financially, the Clarity was a wiser choice. I do not regret the purchase either, but now too wish I had a BEV.

I find the whole experience of driving on all electric very convenient. Having a full battery when I leave the house every morning is awesome. Charging a vehicle at night is no hassle at all.

I hate going to gas stations more, than having having to plug my car in at night.

So yeah... my next vehicle will probably be a BEV though. By then prices should come down further.

DaleL likes this.
  6. weave

weave Active Member

Once a year I drive across country to Phoenix, so that *is* a concern. But to be truthful I really push it too much to be safe as it is. A BEV would force me to stop and rest once in a while at least.

Just as an example, last June I drove straight from Phoenix to Delaware and only had a 30 minute nap break each night. Did it in 45 hours. That's just .... stupid.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

I believe 5min gas refuel vs 1hr recharge is a big difference. And much more if you don't have access to fast charge.
    Gas stations are everywhere vs charge station are not so popular. Might be more than sufficient, but not everywhere.

Most bev owners use bev for commute only. When they need a long trip, they would rent a car.

I mean, they are both great options, it's up to your own case by case.

I agree with your regret. My next car would probably be a bev, too. You are using about the max range of bev. For longet trips, things can be different. Again, case by case.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  9. lanb

lanb Active Member

Just keep your gas tank near empty and treat the Clarity as a 50 mile BEV :)

Kailani, TheDom and David A like this.
  10. weave

weave Active Member

A 50 mile BEV *is* a PITA on a 200 mile drive though. That would mean a normal 3.5 hour trip would be more like 10 hours.

TeslaInvestors likes this.
  11. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

So, you traded range anxiety for fuel anxiety? Maybe the problem isn't the vehicle - just avoid the radio news and listen to soothing music or well-narrated fiction.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

Maybe the title should be
    Why I'm regretting purchasing a phev

Remarksman and bakedpatato like this.
  14. LAF

LAF Active Member

not sure I can tell on the highway whether the ICE is on or not, only in local traffic is it clear. so it must be you never want to burn gas. I can see that for someone like you who would do it every week. for me its once ~2 month or so

15. Electra

Electra Active Member

That's once a year. You would be perfect candidate for a BEV since you could rent a car for that once a year trip. :) and when you go BEV, you won't have to worry about oil/filter changes, spark plugs, belts, etc.

Remarksman and weave like this.
  16. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

For longer trips we use our Ody. Having free charging at work, I may have had preferred a BEV as I have EV anxiety now. 2000 miles and just 1/3 of the tank used. I charge every day at work, and on weekends at home I end up charging overnight at least once.

But having been used to an Accord for 9 years, I could not see myself in a smaller car. When I test drove the Prius, Volt and even a 2017 Fusion, the Clarity was the clear winner, not just in size, but also price.

So if it would have been available in NJ, and assuming same prices, I would have gotten the Clarity BEV instead...

17. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Why not get a BEV as your second car and have the best of both worlds?

bfd likes this.
  18. Emanuel Green

Emanuel Green Member

Financally, having two cars for one person is... not usually the wisest move.

That said, for a two-car family, the combo of short-range BEV and long-range PHEV is amazingly awesome! My wife drives a Leaf, I drive a Clarity, and I can count on one hand the number of times in our entire marriage that we've had to both go out of town to different places at the same time. The only "hassle" has been figuring out a good charging schedule, since we only have one charger at home.

19. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

I totally agree that PHEV is a gateway drug to BEV, but the right choice between the two really comes down to the driving needs of the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. dalbeck

dalbeck Member

PA
    Since owning the Clarity (officially 1 week yesterday), I love it but I do find that I am having the same conversation with myself wanting a BEV. My issue was definitely range anxiety as well as patience. Driving the Clarity on pure EV is amazing. On highways, the ICE kick in isn't too noticeable but for 55mph driving and lower it is. I love my morning drive in to work, 40 miles of pure EV, but for now, I only have my L1 charger at work so I make it about 90% of the way home before it kicks over.

The biggest issues I had with going with a Bolt or a Leaf was I do occasional trips out of state that the range would not work on a complete round trip and there aren't many public charging stations on this route, and finally just cost. The Bolt and Leaf are comparable to the Clarity but neither have the style I would like. Really enjoy the Tesla's, but who doesn't? I am hoping in 4-5 years when I am in the market for a new car again the BEV's will have some updated styling, features, and more competitive pricing.

Owning my first PHEV has definitely been a gateway to wanting an all-electric vehicle. Either way, love the Clarity, to date the best car I have owned.

SRINIVAS VADREVU and Kailani like this.
  21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I, too, would like a BEV to complement our Clarity. Honda's going to make one I really want, the Urban EV, but they're saying only for Europe next year. <sarcasm>Honda's such a responsive company, I'll just write them and they'll change their minds and make me one</sarcasm>

upload_2018-9-28_20-18-30.png

dalbeck likes this.
  22. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Yep. I'm like that too. I can't rest that well when on a long road trip. So I wind up not sleeping until I'm really exhausted. But I would never want to be in a Tesla on a long road trip. I don't want to be forced into stopping for 30+minutes every 150-180 miles( as You don't want too run too close to the bottom of your range). I usually stop every 200 miles or so on a long trip but just for about 5 minutes or so. Just enough time to fill up my 7 gallon tank. Tesla's are a great vehicle for the normal long commutes in California where gas cost is high. But the price difference between the Tesla and Clarity will buy me a lot of gas. I don't think I'm giving up much on comfort and style. If I got a Tesla I would want a model x with lots of upgrades. Probably around 150k$. Even if I could afford it I would probably decline. So I still think The Clarity is the best car for me hands down.

SRINIVAS VADREVU likes this.
  23. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I don't think I could have convinced the wife the Model 3 would work until she owned the Clarity for a while. Now she realizes the Model 3 would work, but it would have cost a lot more, and at the time we bought the Clarity we thought it would be a few years for non reservation holders.

For us, only the long range Model 3 would work, so it would be a lot more expensive, but not sure I would have cared. As it is, we will enjoy the Clarity for several years.

chris5168 likes this.