Whining sound @ 30mph?

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Robbert, Mar 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I was test driving a Mach-E today as a potential new car (thinking of trading my Kona EV). Love the car, super peppy & quiet, except ... around 30-40 MPH there was a clearly audible "whine sound". That's the best I can describe it. Audio was turned down (with the volume knob), and I heard the same sound in any of the 3 drive modes I tried.
    This Mach-E Premium (eAWD) I drove had about 1100 miles on it (it was the demo).

Had anyone else noticed this, or was this specific to the one I drove?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

When I test drove it, it had selectable road noises it played, is that what is going on? I think you can turn off the sounds. On the Tesla, the tires make a kind of electric turbine sound while as the speed up (Michelin Xices) which sounds "electric", could also be the tires.

4. I have read about a whine in the drivers display. Not all of them have the whine and it seems to be a bad display power supply. The one I test drove did not have any noticeable whine.

5. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I had the virtual engine sounds turned off. It was fun for a few minutes to hear the growl of a fake V8 or something like that, but I prefer the quiet. :) It was definitely not tires (I know what that sounds like). It was also speed dependent. It disappeared below 30 mph, and above roughly 40 mph. It fluctuated in intensity depending on whether or not I had my foot on the gas pedal or not (at that low speed I was feathering it, this car really likes going fast!). I had 1-pedal driving turned off when I first heard it, but it didn't seem to matter when I turned it on.
    The whine sound really sounded mechanical (like a gearbox or something) and coming from the front of the vehicle.

My Kona EV never had any weird sounds, but I know many others had issues with the gearbox on that car that were described similar to what I heard on the Mach-E.
    I may try another Mach-E test drive at a different dealer in the next week or so -- I'll see if that one has the same issue or not ...

6. That's the reduction gearing. Once it wears in it goes away. About 1800 miles on mine.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jay314

jay314 New Member

I took the ER AWD for a test drive myself and also noticed the whistling sound at around 25-35mph. Love the car, but the sound was annoying after a while.

Also test drove the ER RWD but didn't notice the sound in that car at all.

Frank, are you saying that you did have the sound, but it has now gone?

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

9. Yes it was prominent at first. Have 2900 miles on it not and rarely notice it. I comes from the front drive assembly. Not sure if it's because the motor is different than the rear and making a load whine or if the gears just needed to wear in. I haven't explored the lube spec for the gear case, I'm sure they have some kind of extreme pressure additive that hardens the tooth face of the gear as it works.

10. Millersp

Millersp New Member

I have the Premium -4 x - The noise I hear is more of a hollow sound that changes with speed and how rough the road is.
    It sounds like a rattle like something inside a hollow tube or box.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs