When you buy an EV you also buy into a charging network

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

This morning I was doing some preliminary trip planning for a grand tour to visit distant relatives in our Tesla Model 3:
    [​IMG]
    The top chart shows the CCS-CHAdeMO chargers for EVgo and Electrify America. The bottom chart shows the Tesla SuperCharger network. Primary routes are to Coffeyville KS, above Tulsa, and Stillwater OK, west of Tulsa. The SuperCharger network has a gap between Little Rock and Tulsa at Fort Smith AR on the Oklahoma border. However, there is one CHAdeMO charger West of Little Rock that in an hour could bridge the gap.

[​IMG]
    The next destination is my friend in Dallas Tx and then to my brothers in Tempe and Tucson AR. Either network works but reaching Los Angles is more direct with the SuperCharger.

[​IMG]
    Reaching relatives in Oregon and Washington is easy for either but headed East to visit friend in Madison WI and relatives in Connecticut and Maine faces a CCS/CHAdeMO gap.

[​IMG]
    Getting further East, only SuperCharger has a route across the Northern Midwest. CCS/CHAdeMO requires a Southern route.

[​IMG]
    Headed home, the SuperChargers provide many alternative paths to avoid weather or traffic delays. The CCS/CHAdeMO is not as flexible.

In another year or two, CCS/CHAdeMO may eliminate their multiple gaps to catch up to the SuperCharger network. The SuperCharger network has only one significant gap, Little Rock to Tulsa, that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter or the longer range Teslas with 300 mile range could bridge.

In 2019, only a Tesla would be able to make this Grand Tour in reasonable time. Other EVs would face significant detours and delays. Worse, their charging costs are 2-3x more expensive than the SuperCharger. In effect, their higher charging rates achieve parity with gas cars.

My point is that if you look at EV range alone, you can be disappointed. Not so much with Tesla because the SuperCharger network and CHAdeMO adapter makes a better charger mesh. The CCS/CHAdeMO remains a work in progress that only the diesel fiasco made possible. No other EV maker has committed to making sure a CCS/CHAdeMO network will be available for their future EVs.

Bob Wilson

interestedinEV likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

I like how you made maps to show very specific locations... HAHA ! Bob, Electrify America is still finishing Cycle 1 of 4, and is still missing some remote routes for sure, but in the Seattle area it already dominates Tesla, please show your same maps with under construction chargers added, and you can even go look at specific site pictures and only add sites that have chargers standing, do not bother with ones that are just breaking ground. By the end of 2020 EA will have 40 sites (Cycle 2) in WA state compared to Tesla's 15, and this signifies EA being half way done with their planned 4 cycles. Also a few of Tesla's locations really suck, like their downtown Seattle chargers which only feature 72 kW chargers and are in a parking garage that closes at night. Or the one on I-5 at Arlington that is a 10 minute drive off the freeway. Without a doubt Tesla covers more areas today, but at the rate that is changing is unprecedented. EA brought 300 stations online in the last 12 months, and has nearly that many under construction or in development now. BTW, since I worked on a race team and did the Seattle to Detroit drive annually (in a tractor / trailer) I can tell you the routes like I-90 are nearly always avoided through Eastern Montana / North Dakota because of the mountain passes, and 2 lane areas, Most people cut down at Butte Mt, and across from there to avoid the slow driving. I am reminded of a friend that flew SR-71 stories about North Dakota, He says he did North Dakota in < 8 minutes, which by the way is the best way to do North Dakota

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Grand Tour in the Fall of 2019 is larger than just Seattle. It will validate that we can reach every family member in a reasonable time at an affordable cost. But unless the non-Tesla chargers are blocking access to the Seattle SuperChargers, the SuperChargers will still be in service and usable. We'll check the SuperCharger health and occupancy with the Tesla navigation map on the way there.

In contrast, the CCS/CHAdeMO charging networks have significant gaps and last I heard, independent of the in-car systems. I've seen efforts to bridge those gaps and they may succeed someday. Just we know GM won't spend a dime on chargers and the other efforts, well we'll see.

Bob Wilson

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Minor correction, does not distract from substance. It is Tempe and Tuscon, AZ.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

This is why I think EV enthusiasts/advocates should put money up to help build out the fast charging network. In my opinion, the fast charging network is the most important infrastructure to incentivize demand.

David Green and bwilson4web like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Agree, and many manufacturers are investing into fast charging, both Audi and Porsche have invested money into Electrify America above and beyond the parent company ownership, others will follow...