what is the best state of charge for longevity of battery pack

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by charles mugler, Nov 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. charles mugler

charles mugler New Member

I have heard charging battery level to 100% each timein time will have negative impacts on the long term life of battery vs say 80%, could not find anything in manual, any input would be appreciated

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Kona has a battery buffer at the top end, meaning even if you charge to an indicated 100% its really more like 96-98%. So you won't do harm to it.

4. charles mugler

charles mugler New Member

also does it harm the 110 battery charger to keep it plugged in when not charging the car.

5. No

6. Francois

Francois Active Member

Just wanted to add that I think I have read on another thread there is also another buffer at the bottom end, also to protect the battery though I would not advise anyone to put that theory to the test, just in case.. ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Based on Battery University, you get the longest life on Lithium Ion batteries if you keep the charge between 65 and 75%. I'm between 60 and 80% most days.

SkookumPete likes this.
  9. Correct, don't charge it to 100% if you don't need to, and if you do, don't let it sit at 100% for extended time. Charge it to 100% and then go if you need the range. Same on the bottom end, plug it in immediately if you had to run it down low.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. While this advice is salient for Teslas and is generally good EV advice its important to note the Kona's software limits you from meeting true 100% discharge or recharge levels. The car's displayed state of charge only represents its virtual capacity vs real battery capacity.

11. I have heard this often, but do we have any confirmation of this, reference or link? It is odd though, that in the manual Hyundai recommends charging to 100% before storing the car for a while. That seems very contrary to popular wisdom.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Based on their chart, after 8500 charging cycles, you'd still be above 90% of the original capacity if you keep the charge between 65 and 75%.. 9000 cycles is over 2 Million miles if one cycle gives you 270 miles range..

Edit Post by BlueKonaEV
    batteryuniversity.jpg

14. One indication of top end buffer is the presence of regeneration capacity when you are "charged to 100%" in the Kona. In Teslas regen is disabled when charged to 100% as there is no upper buffer. Also if you had access to app like torque pro you would probably note that even at a full 100% SOC the battery voltage would never approach 4.2 volts( full charge). Ultimately do what Hyundai suggest you should do.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  15. Yes, that is true but does it matter? Not really, even with the buffer I would never charge it to 100% if I don't need it for my trip. Just being cautious.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That would be an interesting test. Measure voltage with Torque pro and SOC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

17. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

That's interesting -- I usually charge to 90%, but a few times when I charged to 100% and left my house, I got a message on the dash saying that regen was disabled or reduced due to the battery charge (or something like that). Now, my driveway is downhill about 300', so the first thing I do when I leave the garage is hit the brakes, so it's regen right away.

So either the Kona is preventing the regen from using that buffer in my case, or the buffer is much smaller than we think?

KiwiME likes this.