We developed a charger. Please advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Ellina from CHRGET, Jun 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ellina from CHRGET

Ellina from CHRGET New Member

Dear Friends,

My name is Ellina. I represent a group of engineers who invented chRget — a universal EV charger with 32 plug adapters and the software that can change charging parameters in real time.

Could you please take a look at our prototype? What do you think could be added to it? What functions or properties should be in the ideal EV charger? Your answers would really help us make our prototype better.
    [​IMG]
    Few days ago we launched a Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

We invite you to become our backer and will be very grateful for spreading a word about our charger on social media to help us reach our goal.

Our charger features 32 adapters to any power outlet in the world. They are plugged directly onto the main body. Our backers select the necessary adapters themselves:
    [​IMG]
    chRget uses geolocation and automatically sets optimal charging parameters according to each country's voltage, frequency and other properties.

chRget automatically adjusts the power if the voltage is not stable. It also lowers the power in case the circuit is overheated, to prevent damages of wiring.

On top of that it has other great features in mobile app, ergonomic design, and allows for charging two or more EVs simultaneously and safely.
    [​IMG]
    By the way, our startup was selected to provide technical support to the Electric Marathon 2020 Star Race, which starts at Expo Dubai and finishes in Monte Carlo.

Please share with us your thoughts and support us on Kickstarter page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrget/chrget

Best regards,
    Ellina

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Maximum voltage and current?

Any data recording/broadcast?

Bob Wilson

4. Ellina from CHRGET

Hi Bob!

chRget works with all existing power grid parameters, such as 80-400V and 50-60 HZ.
    It supports 400V 3x32A for the EU market, and 240V 48A for the US.

We have both data recording and broadcast. Part of data is recorded and stored in the EVSE itself, and a part is sent via Bluetooth and stored in the mobile app.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

I don't see an adapter for a 14-60 that would allow you to use the full 48A?
    Does your device adhere to the 80% limit for continuous use devices?

6. Ellina from CHRGET

We haven't planned to make a 14-60 adapter in the first batch, because such socket is much less common than 14-50, and we try to make adapters for the most common and powerful sockets worldwide. However, if we see sufficient demand for it, we will include it to our list. Such an adapter will be able to use the full 48А.

We pay attention to every system of our device and of course have the necessary limit for continuous use, which is different for particular systems. We are the most careful about the systems responsible for working under the sun and high temperatures, as safety is our top priority.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I think your best strategy for market development and for attracting attention of investors would be to send samples to a few, or several, people who would agree to review them in YouTube videos. Then you could link to those videos to promote your KickStarter campaign. That would also give you some good feedback on what features people would like to see, or don't like, in such a product. Comments posted to such videos might also be good source of what people like, or don't.

Good luck with your business venture!

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I recommend Tom Moloughney, an InsideEV contributor, who specializes in EVSE evaluation.

Bob Wilson

Ellina from CHRGET likes this.
  10. Ellina from CHRGET

Thank you for your advice!

11. papab

papab Member

An important feature would be the ability to schedule charging times. Many locales have time of day metering.

Ellina from CHRGET likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ellina from CHRGET

We do have a Delayed Start feature that enables to schedule when the charging will start!

14. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

My ideal EVSE explicitly has no "cloud" integration. If the EVSE is "smart", it provides a REST API on the local network only, and any phone app also uses the same REST API on the local network. I have solar panels on my roof and various devices that connect to my inverter and my smart meter. I should be able to send commands to the EVSE (again, all in the local network, no cloud server involved) from those devices to enable or disable the EVSE. If the device needs firmware updates, it needs a USB or serial or some port to connect to my computer. It has no business depending on some remote server with delays and potential downtime for actual control, and Sonos-style remote bricking or Lowe's Iris-style turning off some server the device requires for functionality.

Also, give me a way to plug it into an Ethernet cable. Far too much Wi-Fi interference around and the signal strength is poor in the garage anyway.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I get your point, and some years ago I would have agreed with you, but the vast majority of people don't have an ethernet connector in the garage.

Harvey likes this.
  16. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

And? For those that do, it should be an option. Wi-Fi has its uses, but connecting a permanently installed device (e.g. my TV, my laser printer, my desktop computer, an EVSE...) is not one of them.

papab likes this.
  17. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I suggest adding the acronym EVSE somewhere in your title and project description. I couldn’t find it when searching for it directly on Kickstarter, and might not have if not for this post on inside EVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. Ellina from CHRGET

Thank you for the tip, it's a very important point!

19. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I do applaud you this idea, but putting my consultant hat on, here is what I would like know

1. How did you arrive at your price points, it seems to me that are targeting the niche buyer rather than the larger market.
    2. What car models have you actually tested (or worked with the manufacturer) or do you have some independent corroboration (@Pushmi-Pullyu has a good suggestion and @bwilson4web had a name). If you have a list of cars with models that you have used, it will help buyers. The hardware may be OK, but the software customized for the car is equally important. You campaign mentions this but no specifics of car models.
    3. Have you done any reliability and longevity tests. The last thing one wants is a once and done product. To get the costs down, you may have to outsource production and then the question is "do you have the supply chain and the ability to maintain quality".
    4. If you are using or need a mobile app, do you have features in place to ensure security and privacy.

From a good product to a good business is a value is hard road. You may have come a long way, but there is long way to go. The devil is often in the details, especially when you are looking to replace this what you already have. What sells in this segment is word of mouth, the market is too segmented to have say an ad campaign. You need to develop credibility.