Warranty on a Kona HV Battery

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Orchardman, Oct 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi All,
    first post here.
    I wonder if someone could let me know the exact nature of the 8-year battery warranty on US and Canadian Konas please.

Is there a stated SoH level below which Hyundai considers it a warranty issue?

In Australia we seem to be having difficulty getting Hyundai to state what they mean by ".... which is found to be defective as a result of poor workmanship or materials........" and "..... be repaired or replaced.....". This is all we get in the fine print alongside a 160,000km limit as well. We are not quoted a SoH level.
    Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

US has a lifetime warranty on the battery for the original owner. Before I purchased my Kona, I did call Hyundai USA about their warranty and I asked about warranty in case of significantly reduced range due to degradation. I used the example of 65% of it's original capacity. The representative had to ask internally to get the anser and assured me that they would replace the battery in such scenario. I believe in other countries, this is spelled out that 70% is the threshold for degradation before they would replace the battery.

4. Thanks. So is there anything to that effect in the fine print of your documentation, or its just a verbal response to an inquiry?

5. FloridaSun

That was their verbal response on the phone. The person I talked to had to check with someone, so they didn't give me a generic answer.. I believe that I read somewhere that the Canadian warranty has a degradation greater than 70% remaining capacity spelled out.

6. Here's what the U.S. 2020 Kona EV warranty booklet says:

Battery Warranty.png
    As I read it, this specifically says that loss of capacity over time from battery usage is (1) covered, and (2) NOT covered.

(1) says it is covered 'not to degrade more than 70%," but it's not clear to me whether that limit is degradation TO 70% of capacity, or what it literally says which is degradation OF 70%, so down to 30% of capacity.

My best guess is that both ambiguities would be interpreted to favor the purchaser. But I will email Hyundai USA and see if I can get a straight answer.

(This came up in another thread, but is specific to this question so I'm posting it here.)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

I think that car makers are usually very good with warranty issues as they don't want to risk their brands reputation.. They know that it will benefit them if they stand behind their products..

KiwiME likes this.