Using anti theft steering wheel lock devices and trackers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I've been using one of those steering wheel locking contraptions ("the Club") for many years. It is basically a large metal rod with twin hooks and a central lock. They're relatively hard to smash through and the idea is that it's enough to deter theft. Not sure, however, whether this is really neccessary on a modern car like the Honda Clarity and it is kind of a hassle to deal with. I would love to skip it if possible. On my previous cars a thief could gain access to the car and start it directly from the ignition box. I assume that without a fob this wouldn't work on the Honda? I also had a lojack system installed which I assume is not needed for the Clarity trackable with Hondalink? I noted, however, that the Hondalink cannot track a moving car (which lojack can) which may be a downside. I haven't had an opportunity to test the built in alarm system but I assume it works. I will also get the puzzle locks for the wheels mentioned on another post.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I handled auto theft claims for almost 3 decades in my insurance career. Such devices are obsolete. For the past 20 ish years, the concept of breaking open steering column, starting a car, and driving away is darn near impossible with the factory electronics, computer chip keys, and theft deterrents.

I used to handle peeled column claims weekly in the 90s. Back then high schoolers could even do it and would just joyride. But I haven’t seen a claim like that for a decade or more cuz the cars are too sophisticated now.

Modern professional thieves primarily just use 2 methods today. Carjacking is favored, or some other method of stealing your keys. Own a key rack in your home near the garage door where you keep all your keys? You’re a primary target for car theft. Thief looks for open garage when you’re not looking, walk in and crack open the laundry room door, grab car keys off key hook inside the door, and drive away.

Equally popular for professional thieves is tow trucks...they quickly hook up your car and drag it off to a shop somewhere for stripping.

Clarity is a very low risk car to steal. Not enough on the road to make it worth thieves time and effort because there is no market for selling parts. Accords and Camrys and American pickups are most popular cuz the parts are so marketable and easy to sell...

Protect yourself from car theft by having insurance being alert to carjacking situations, park only in populated areas, and HIDING your keys at all times...even in your own home, and throwing away key racks that are on your wall. Even locking the car itself is optional...it may prevent vandalism and personal item theft, but not car theft.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The wheel puzzle locks are for the “amateur” petty thieves that swap 2 concrete blocks for your 4 tires and wheels. It happened a lot around campus where my son went to school. I even put a puzzle lock on his Tacoma spare tire and made the tailgate more than a 30 second affair to steal. At least we don’t have to do that on the Clarity. LOL

ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Built in alarm system? I wasn't aware there is one.

6. ozy

ozy Active Member

I believe there is one (at least according to the manual). You will see a small red light blink on your dashboard once you lock the car with the fob. I think the manual also says that the alarm will go off if someone tries to break in through the door or opens the hood with the car powered off.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ozy

ozy Active Member

Another thread referenced the fact that the wheels would be very expensive to replace. For $30 it may be worthwhile insurance to have. I have had trouble finding the correct puzzle wheel locks. When I look on Amazon/Ebay I don't find Clarity specific puzzle locks. And for some reason when I go to the Honda accessories website they have locks but they don't specify if they are compatible with Clarity. If anyone has the correct model number or third party locks I would be grateful. Thanks.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Get in, lock the doors, start preconditioning, open the door. I believe that horn beeping you'll hear is the built-in alarm system. I guess you probably don't even have to start preconditioning.

@craze1cars, you bring a lot of valuable information to this forum. Thank you.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here is the URL for them at Collage Hills Honda for $29. It also lists a code number 08W42-SNA-100 but I don’t know if that’s an official Honda number.
    It does list all the Honda models that it fits so you can cross reference if the code number doesn’t work.

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08W42-SNA-100.html

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Clarity PHEV greatly reduces the frequency of visits to gas stations where so many carjackings occur. It seems all the carjackings on the TV news happen at gas stations, but perhaps that's just because gas stations have cameras and they give the videos to the TV news, who then shows the dramatic carjackings in progress.

Even without worrying about carjacking, taking my Insight to the gas station every month is a PITA that I don't miss a bit now that I drive our Clarity more often. (And I used to think 12 visits a year was sooo cool!)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ozy

ozy Active Member

Until recently I drove a natural gas vehicle with a range of just under 200 miles. Since my commute is 66 miles a day I used to need to stop every few days to get gas. I would often have to refuel under 200 miles because it was contingent on where the next CNG station would be. Some of the stations were in very dicey neighborhoods, no attendant or other people and I would be there at night by myself. I have now owned my Clarity for about 6 weeks and have only had to visit the gas station once.

insightman likes this.