Upgrade Mini SE standard radio system

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by kulaneal, Jun 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

My Iconix SE is in production but, due to the chip shortage, I had to regrettably accept a standard radio in place of the Harmon Kardon premium system or face an uncertain multi-month delay.

I don't want a boom box that rocks the car, just a high fidelity music player. I'm thinking an upgrade of the main speakers including an amp might do it. I'm aware of Bimmertech and Bavsound.

Questions:
    1. anyone have the specs on the 2022 standard system (speaker number/types/sizes/power handling/resistance, head unit specs, etc.)?
    2. anyone done an upgrade already?

Thank you, Neal

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'll definitely be following your thread - thanks!

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is the head unit different or are just the speakers different with the Harman/Kardon option (sorry, I can't make myself write the brand in all lowercase)? The question would be answered by if the H/K system's head unit has a different part number than the Tommy Can You Hear Me? head unit.

While unsuccessfully googling to determine if I had just dreamed up my single head-unit theory, I found this thread in another MINI forum where people complain about the H/K system and suggest better alternatives. My personal opinion is that the H/K system is great, but I'm neither an audiophile nor an ear-banger. (OK, I'll also admit I envy the 2022's volume knob with the always-upright 1/0 logo.)

My only H/K complaint isn't about audio quality, it's about data. When my phone is Bluetoothing two tracks in a row with the same title and by the same artist, but from different albums, the head unit doesn't change the name of the album for the second track.

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I've been doing some research too since it looks like I'm going to be in this boat. From what I've read, the H/K has its own amp and the standard system doesn't. You can upgrade the speakers in the standard system, but the stock head unit doesn't really have the power needed to push better speakers.

I'm curious about the Bavsound speakers. They say they're designed with the stock head unit in mind and provide improved sound without a dedicated amp, but I'm skeptical.

All 5 of our MINIs have had the H/K sound system and I think it sounds great, but I'm no audiophile either. I had a loaner once with the stock sound system and it was definitely unimpressive.

I'm hoping the OP takes the plunge and figures this all out so I can reap the rewards :D

J.Dubs, scooter and insightman like this.
  6. hanyoung99

hanyoung99 New Member

I'm also looking into this as well and read up on the Bavsound speakers. For the SE looks like only the front 2 speakers are available. I believe FOCAL also makes a high end system for the mini, but unfortunately crutchfield doesn't have much info on the SE models. I would think they would be compatibile with earlier gas models?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE is a retrofit into the ICE 2-door hardtop, so almost everything is the same.

J.Dubs likes this.
  9. I just spoke with my MINI dealer, the MINI's will come with six speakers instead of 12, one each door and back, 2 subwoofers, no tweeters and no mid-range. Having thought about it over and over I decided that it was a big part of why I paid the extra for the Iconic trim so cancelled my order. Ack! I'll re-order later when all this stuff is worked out. I want my car to be the way I want my car to be. Does this mean I can't check in on this site anymore? Heck no, I'm enjoying reading all the comments!

10. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

I'd have done the same. I wanted the upgraded stereo and parking sensors. I'm actually nervous right now that if I have an accident or need a warranty repair, no replacement parts will be available. :( The MINI SE is so popular I think you'll have no regrets when you re-order. They'll probably even fix more issues by the time you re-order!

scooter likes this.
  11. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

Luckily if you need a warranty repair it's not a special part for the SE only. One of the major reasons I got the MINI over Tesla is the universal BMW parts. If the parking sensors break they are the same ones in any MINI so you don't need some special part.

insightman and Lainey like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. endquote

endquote Active Member

It’s disappointing to hear that the difference between the two is so great. I wonder what folks with Signature think of their stereos. If you’re not an audiophile is it good enough?

NewGreen likes this.
  14. It is disappointing and something that I was going back and forth on over and over. In the end I just decided that there are things that I really liked when choosing the Iconic trim that you can't get with the Sig+, like the scissor spoke wheels and the Lounge Leather seats (had those in my older MINI and loved them) so I'm out, for now. For me it's not just the sound but the seats and rims too. Too bad but I'm a patient kinda gal, especially when I'll be in it most days.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I respect your decision, and I would have done the same in your position. The stereo is very important to me. It would nag at me to hear the ‘lower’ spec system and know it could have been better.

16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I'm not a serious audiophile but am picky about my headphones and do notice the differences in quality between my wired Shures and Bluetooth galaxy buds.

The speakers on my Signature are good enough but definitely nothing exceptional. The sound quality is good but the lower bass frequencies are a bit lacking and the highs are missing a bit of detail. I personally don't put too much value in car stereos because all the road noise overpowers any difference in speaker quality once you're driving. I definitely don't regret my choice especially with the difference in price!

endquote and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I can see not getting the car at this time. If you're ordering a custom build you should be getting everything you want. It really sucks that shortages have caused the elimination of features.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. hanyoung99

hanyoung99 New Member

Anyone know if the base audio model has the underseat woofers? I'm planning to do replace the four door speakers - but not sure if there are two woofers under the seats or not. Also, plan on getting a 5-channel amp to drive them (Kicker CXA660)

19. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure these are woofers under the plastic piece on my signature
    20210701_164401.jpg

20. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

I'm the OP, my Iconix w/o Harmon Kardon is in assembly and here's an update on some of
    the mods for better music reproduction I'm considering:
    1. Bavsound, bimmertech and Crutchfield upgrades are quite spendy and require uncertain
    installs by me or a shop.
    2. A 2.1 small system in the trunk since I'm usually driving alone with rear seats down.
    Maybe 2 Alexa gen 4's paired with an Alexa sub or 2 Klipsch The Fives connected
    to a sub. The Klipsch Fives can be connected many ways and a compact, very good 2.1 system could play complimented by the standard radio speakers. Won't know what's works or sounds best until I get the new Mini -- in maybe 3 or so months.

21. Before I opted to wait I was looking at this: https://www.focal-inside.com/mini/en/mini-hatch-3-doors-2014-f56/

22. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

23. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Different perspective: I would consider myself to be somewhat of an audiophile, but I have had plenty of base level stereo systems. Though I enjoy the HK sound in the Mini, not having it wouldn't be the end of the world either.
    A car is a pretty bad place for listening. You have 20-30 dBA increased noise floor, you're in a little box which presents some acoustic issues (especially with stereo image) and you have to.. ya know.. not crash the thing :)
    Despite driving EVs for a while, my best listening always happens at home. I just can't get too deep into music in a car. And for the similar money as a car AV upgrade you can get a stellar home setup. /2 cents.

(Just want to reiterate that this is only one opinion! I have a lot of respect for the painstaking work that owners and car AV folks put into stereo system upgrades)