Toyota using Tesla-style Panasonic batteries for China hybrids: sources

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Sep 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/toyota-using-made-tesla-panasonic-001701207.html

Toyota Motor Corp has started using the same type of battery that Panasonic Corp designed for Tesla Inc in some of its plug-in hybrids sold in China, sources familiar with the matter said.

Toyota is using Panasonic's cylindrical batteries in its new Corolla and Levin plug-in hybrid sedans launched in China this year, one of the people said.

The batteries are the same size as those that Panasonic makes for Tesla, but the composition is different, said the sources, who declined to be identified as the matter is private.....

Toyota has favored square, or prismatic, batteries for its vehicles, and uses some manufactured by Panasonic for its hybrids. The two companies announced a joint venture in January to build electric-vehicle (EV) batteries, pooling the R&D and manufacturing strengths of one of the world's largest automakers with one of the largest battery makers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Now if Toyota would fix their battery temperature management, I'd be more interested:
    • liquid cooling/heating - increases battery density and thermal efficiency
    • air cooling/heating - only if dedicated, space consuming ducting. DO NOT USE DIRTY AND WRONG dT CABIN AIR!!
    Bob Wilson

4. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Interesting. I believe the Toyota-Panasonic Joint venture is only for Panasonic’s prismatic battery factories and staff. So at a guess they are buying these direct from Panasonic and not the JV (has the JV even started yet, or is it scheduled for sometime in the future?)

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I am going to guess you are right. Just as Tesla is working with Samsung for a second source in China, manufacturers may want to diversify their suppliers and the parts they use.

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're right. A Yahoo Finance article (or blog post) isn't exactly the most reliable source of info. The cited article/blog post reads, in part:

Maybe "one of the people" is confused. Of course it's not impossible for an auto maker to switch its EV battery pack from prismatic (block-shaped) cells to cylindrical cells, but they would have to change the pack to a completely different architecture.

Anyway, I suggest we treat this as a rumor, not as reliable news.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.