Tires Wearing Fast

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ClarityBill, Jan 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I just installed my fourth set of tires. (91K on the car)

All of the tires have worn excessively on the center line of the tire. I thought this indicated excessive air pressure.

The first two sets of tires were OEM. The third set was 'cheap' Tiger Paw tires. This new set is a little better, but no wear on the new tires yet.

The first set of tires I kept right at 36 psi, and they went 30K miles. The second set I reduced to 34 psi, then 32 psi, and they went 40K miles. The third set was at 32 psi for the life, but after 20K miles two of the tires failed inspection with wear on the centerline. The two that failed were originally on the front, and I put back to the front with the second rotation at 15K miles. The other two tires show wear, but not failed yet. All of the tires have plenty of tread, except for the centerline.

Most of my miles are on the interstate, at 78 mph. Probably 25% is less than 50 mph. Normally it is just me and a suitcase, occasionally up to 500 pounds of equipment. (Covid has not reduced travel for the food industry.)

At the rotations, I am noticing the tires on the front wear significantly faster (centerline wear). Should I use a lower pressure for the front tires? What is the weight distribution in the unloaded car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Interesting. I have 40k on the original tires (prob 70% highway at 75, state roads at 45-60 for 20%, and 10% local roads) and haven't noticed that but maybe will check. I've rotated the tires 2-4x but def not the every 7k or whatever the car sugggage?

You are correct, center wear would seem to indicate over inflation. Are you using a personal gauge?

DaleL likes this.
  4. Honda lists weight distribution as 57/43, F/R. The car weights 4052lbs.

Michelin states that the OEM tire (a single tire) has a maximum load capacity of 1477lbs at 36psi. Despite the sidewall showing a maximum psi of 44lbs, Michelin states that inflating above 36psi does not increase the load capacity of the tire.

At a loaded vehicle weight of 4750lbs, say 200lbs of human and personal belongings and 500lbs of equipment, while maintaining the 57/43 ratio, the front tires would be supporting a load of 1353lbs each and the rears would be at 1021lbs each. The Michelin tire pressure calculator provided the following numbers:

PSI/Load capacity in lbs.
    26*/1135
    28/1202
    30/1268
    32/1334
    34/1400
    36/1477

* 26psi is the minimum recommended pressure.

This would suggest that the rears could be set at 26psi and the fronts at 34psi. I would imagine that 500lbs of gear would be placed in the trunk and rear passenger area which would likely alter the unladen weight distribution of 57/43. Keep in mind that the recommended pressures provided are the MINIMUM pressure required to support a given load. Tire industry experts suggest increasing the recommended pressure by ~10%.

I recommend weighing the car at a CAT scale to determine axle weights. Weigh once without the gear and a second time with the gear. The first weigh in will cost $12, a second weigh in within 24 hours will only cost $2.

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Inaccurate tire gauge? Very possible.

I have 40k on original tires, they’re about 50% tread depth and evenly worn. I usually run mine at about 37 to 38 psi, and rarely is there more than 300 lbs of people and stuff in it

DaleL likes this.
  6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I checked mine and I'm still about 3-4mm above minimum and even across the tread. I normally run 32-34psi and most miles are solo with no real extra weight.

Im also leaning towards a faulty gauge...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityBill

I am using several personal gauges, they all agree. They also matched the 36 psi originally installed by dealer, 32 psi by tire tech with third set of tires, and 36 psi by tire tech with fourth set. Could still be faulty.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Strange. Unlikely a gauge issue then.

10. Roger Marble runs a website, Rvtiresafety.net. He spent 40 years designing tires and studying tire failures. Not just RV tires.

You can email him questions. It is a very informative site for anyone who’d like to learn more about tires.

turtleturtle likes this.
  11. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

A comment and question for the group...

We were on a trip to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon / Washington) a few years ago. This was pre-Clarity, and we had a rental car.

One of the first things we noticed (it was quite dramatic) was that the road surfaces were significantly coarser than we are used to here in Maryland. It was remarkable how much road noise resulted from this. These roads were in good condition, it just seemed like there was a substantial difference in the composition of the asphalt that was used there (larger aggregate, or similar).

I could imagine that this would result in much more tire wear than what I am used to here.

Has anyone else noticed large differences in road surfaces across different regions of the country? I don't know where @ClarityBill lives, but perhaps there could be a contributing factor like this. Of course that wouldn't explain uneven wear, but it certainly could accelerate wear.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Yes I have noticed those same differences. I've driven on some asphalt roads in west Texas that were so coarse that they almost were like gravel roads with some tar thrown in to keep the gravel in place.

14. Chip seal. Yes, it’s rough. I haven’t noticed it being the cause of premature or unusual tire wear patterns.

15. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I changed out the tires on the front at 19k. They are very evenly worn. I keep the pressure at about 38 psi. I maybe could have run them a couple of thousand miles longer, but the wear bars were pretty close to flush. I've rotated the tires a couple of times, but the back still have maybe 5k miles available on them before they need changing. I was able to buy some nearly new take-off Michelin Energy Saver A/S (about 1k miles on them) for a really low price (about $70 each), so this first set of tires won't be too painful. I think turning wears these tires a lot since the car is heavy. I do a lot of short trips and have relatively tight 90 degree turns into my garage on fairly rough concrete. I think I effectively sand the front tires some every day.

16. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Wow, 19k seems kind of early! I’m hoping mine last longer.

17. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Road coarseness must be a big effect. I would expect high average ambient temperature to also increase tire wear quite a bit. Do you live in Florida or Arizona or ??.

I have about 35k miles on my originals and they have a long way to go.

18. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

One thing we can all agree on... the tire wear sure isn't due to front wheel burnouts! :)

insightman likes this.
  19. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

In Sport mode. I can get mine to burn out. Not Fast and Furious burnouts, but I get a little screech here and there. Never intentionally.

20. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Did you verify the tire thread depth or just trust the shop that claimed they failed?

Many shops are dishonest.

Also have you alignment checked. Excessive toe will wear tires very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I just changed my wheels and tires.

I found a "deal" on a set of Maxima alloy wheels/tires for $200. 245/45-18 vs stock 235/45-18. Wheels are identical to stock, 8"x18 with offset 50. They look great, and have Goodyear Eagle tires with about 50% life left on them.

My OEM tires are about 50% worn, and even wear across the tires. I run 36 psi and check it at least monthly. I'm at 30,000 miles. My travel is about equal with local, city, and highway.

22. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

20210109_121821.jpeg

Pic of "new" wheels. Honda Center caps are on order.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

23. ClarityBill

I verified the wear: I still have the original OEM tires on the rims, they have no tread. I bought a set of takeoffs for spares, and installed as my second set of tires.

I thought excessive toe normally causes wear on the outside edges, my premature wear is centerline. Am I wrong about wear caused by incorrect toe? (I had one tire with edge wear, and got alignment fixed.)

JFon101231 likes this.