The "Stop Sale"....

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by KeninFL, Sep 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

From my dealer's sales rep: there is a "stop sale" on the SE's coming into the US. Estimated delay time: a few days, but.....
    Reason for the stop sale: The SE's on board computer diagnostics are accessible only by authorized Mini (and I suspect BMW) dealerships. The Feds (NHTSA maybe?) have ordered Mini to reprogram the software so that any shop or owner w/an OBD scanner can access the codes for servicing/information.
    I asked if the software reprogram has to be done before a car passes customs or when the car is at the dealer. Dealer didn't know.
    I wasn't seeking this info. I had stopped by the dealer because I was in the neighborhood and the sales rep offered the info as an update for me.
    I do not know if there are other "stop sales." There are some postings here from earlier about one but I believe that was actually a recall (to repair faulty wiring welds).
    If this stop sale info has been posted already I haven't seen it so I am posting here.

insightman and SmartElectric like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Good info on this mystery. My SE, after being delivered to the dealer mid-August, was held because of an OBD-related stop sale (sounds like the same one). Fortunately it was held for only a couple of days. I was told it was withdrawn and will come out as a general recall at some point, but now I wonder if my SE had been reprogrammed by the dealer, especially if this is still in place. Maybe all new cars have to get reprogrammed before being released to the customer?

At least it's not a safety-related issue.

Toi and SmartElectric like this.